free website stats program A m f | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

A m f

One of the worst thing AMF did was getting rid of employees when they took over. Some of these guys had many years with HD but more then years they knew what they were doing, HD was their heart and soul. Back then they had both 3.5 and 5 gallon gas tanks. There are stories of bike going out the door with one side 3.5 the other 5, little things like this because the new hires didn't care about HD. I was in LA (1973) when a friends brand new superglide was in the shop, it had lots of issue, but one of the thing that was found was a brown lunch sack in the oil tank, trash can I guess! The Heart and Soul was not with the employees, it was 'just a job'.

I'm with you poohbear, I was one of those employee's. I was everything HD right down to my 49 pan. I walked ,talked and breathed HD. When the higher ups started to take shortcuts I voiced my opinion. All that got me was out the door for get this.. too long of hair. They were able to use that as an excuse and the union did nothing about it. I guess that they all feared for their jobs. HD was an American tradition. I hate seeing something with the HD brand and then you read made in Pakistan, China or anywhere besides the USA!

With out AMF we would not have Evos or 5 speeds they invested money in these projects the shovel heads could stand alone a great motor it could have used some more help from R and D to be a better oil tight motor

Without a doubt one of the truly most interesting thread i've read. Thanks Smitty and the others. I came to the World of Harley in 2004 and sheez never knew what HD been through.

The shovel was pre AMF. Did AMF modify the design when they took it over?

Dunno, but the shovelhead was around for a long time...hence I'm sure there were some improvements or modifications along the way since it was made from the 1960's into the 1980's.....

I remember our next door neighbor bought a slightly used 1967 shovelhead dresser. It was a beautiful. I don't think the dude was even two or three years old and he was telling my Dad and I the engine needed rebuilt and the local shop wanted $1,000.00 to rebuild it. I was a teenager and in the latter 1960's that seemed like a "King's Ransom" to me at the time....

Hey Smitty, great history. The Nova was a bike that was ahead of its time. It would have been interesting to see if it could have curbed the influx of Japanese bikes at the time.

I believe the last year for the shovel was late 84 early 85. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will straighten me out!

And then we showed him a couple HD war bikes with opposed cyl engine that HD had BMW build the engines for them
==================================================================
Smitty; I remember the XA was built for desert warfare about '42 & '43, and it copied BMW's horizontal twin design. How were the engines built for HD by BMW when we were mortal enemies with Germany at that time? Thanks

Back