free website stats program A Harley, A Road Map, and 4 Days | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

A Harley, A Road Map, and 4 Days

Bad news....

Say goodbye to Al’s Nighthawk

BY ERICA McDONALD
SALISBURY POST

Saturday will be a sad night for the regulars out at Al’s Night Hawk.

Andy Meng has bought the building where Al Boulus dispenses dogs and drafts, at 1337 W. Innes St., and will soon turn it into a laundromat.

Though the sale’s closing date isn’t set, Boulus has decided to shut down his restaurant Saturday night. He figures that’s easier than waiting until the sale is final and he is just told it is time to leave.

Past and present employees are throwing a get-together for Boulus, on Saturday, from 4:30 p.m. until closing, according to former employee Del Knoblock.

They are inviting all customers and friends to join them for a final goodbye. They want Al’s Night Hawk to go out with a bang.

Boulus, 78, has been running some kind of hot dog stand on West Innes Street for the past 51 years.

“He was the best boss I have ever had,” Knoblock said Tuesday. “He is a very good person, and I hate to see him closing.”

While Al’s Night Hawk has been opened, Boulus helped out many people, especially college kids. Many worked for him during college and continued to go back after moving on to their own careers.

Boulus and his wife, Thelma, moved to their present location 17 years ago. Before that, they spent 25 years in a building that began as The Night Hawk — they just added Al’s — across from Jim’s (then Blackwelder’s) Barbecue.

Knoblock noted that Mark Anthony, one of Al’s customers, saved a hot dog from that stand, a memento he has now saved for 17 years.

did a local search and this is what came up. Sorry. Tracy

Thanks, I ride up that way at least two or three times a year. Never gets old. Draws me like a magnet. Maybe because I am orginally from McKean County it feels like home.

Thanks for letting me know that was very nice of you:(. It is sad news. When I lived in Salisbury it was one of my favorite places. That was in the 80's. I was in the area about 1998 and stopped for a hot dog. It was like I had been in the night before.

I'm with Bodeen. Head down the driveway, pick a direction and see where the road leads you. Some of my best adventures have started that way.

Back