free website stats program 99 Sporty will not stay running | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

99 Sporty will not stay running

i pulled plugs, they are wet and they look to be in good shape. I can check the petcock but I do not think it is a fuel deliery issueI leave town on thursday and will be gone for a week, I'll probably put some parts on order if I can narrow it down. Thanks for everybody's help on this.

Okay so it's been awhile since I was on here. I've been doing some traveling and time to work on the Sporty has been little. I did replace the plugs, wires and coil. The bike started and ran for about 1 min. So.... I dicided to go back and rethink about what I have done exactly. I pulled the carb and with the help of a friend that knows what he is doing, the carb was rebuilt. I have not put it back on yet and know that it is still clean. Than I thought about clean the fuel tank better. When I first took the old gas out, I siphoned it out, this may not of gotten all the dirt out so I decide to pull the tank. I thought by simpling opening the pitcock that the gas would flow freely and drain the tank, not the case. Not sure if this is part of my problem. I got the gas out and pulled the pitcock, alot of dirt and debris was in the tank to include a dead bug of some kind. Does anyone know if cleaning and relining the gas tank as easy as it sounds? Again thanks for all the help I have recieved so far.

If there's a problem with the liner in there now, it has to be redone, otherwise give it a good flush with fresh gas off the bike so you can be sure all the crud is out and try it.

I'll do that, I also pick up so new fuel line just to try and get the cleanest possible fuel system. Should the fuel have drained freely when I open the pit cock or not so?

I'll do that, I also pick up so new fuel line just to try and get the cleanest possible fuel system. Should the fuel have drained freely when I open the pit cock or not so?

If you turn the petcock to the "Prime" position it should flow freely, I believe it will bypass even the vacumn operated petcock shutoff valve (which requires engine vacumn to enable valve in the ON & Reserve positions). Tell us how things are working out! :bigsmiley21:

Back