free website stats program 99 roadking clutch problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

99 roadking clutch problems

replaced cable went thru all the clutch disks and saw no signs of anything that might be causing this problem.:31:

Have you checked the throw out bearing and push rod for wear? There is also a spring plate that is conclave/convex, is it in correctly and in the correct spot. If you have a manual it will explain the placement of the spring plate.
tourbox

What clutch plates are you running, and are you pre soaking the fiber plates?

I HAVE re-read ALL and Really believe The Clutch Adjustment Is Not correct.......IF not adjusted correctly IT Will do what yours is doing...

The cable adjustment and a FULL pull there should get the Job of stopping the engine to plate friction......

Did you replace with the Correct number of plates?????

One extra plate COULD cause this problem.. COUNT.......

signed....BUBBIE

I was also running Type F automatic Trans fluid in my primary. This was recommended by Barnett when I changed to a Barnett clutch plate set. I found neutral way easier to find as well? Light fluid , less fluid friction between plates less grab...that makes me wonder too. How much fluid do you have in primary? Are you sure its not too full? That extra fluid gets picked up between plates and makes them start to pull like a torque converter? I have had my share of clutch problems on my 2000 RK. My son is riding that one now but at end with Barnett clutch plates and Type F she was a thing of beauty as far as the clutch went? Hope that helps.

Remove the plates and clean them.
Check the steel plates are flat.
Refit the plates.
Slacken the cable adjuster right off so there's at least an inch of play at the handlebar lever.
Adjust the pushrod as per manual.
Adjust the cable free play.
With the derby cover off,and the bike upright,the oil level should be just to the bottom of the diaphram spring.

You now have a perfect clutch.:)

You can't adjust the pushrod with tension on the cable.
I see this all the time on car handbrakes/parking brakes.They play around with the cable then fit new pads.The brakes won't self adjust because the adjuster is hung up on the cable.

Back