free website stats program '99 Fatboy rear tire rub | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

'99 Fatboy rear tire rub

No! That's what is baffleing! I have even marked the outside of the tire with chalk to see if there is any transfer. I don't see anything! However, it is only when I have a passenger, and I am leary of anyone else riding with me in case a problem develops mid-ride. It's catch 22!! It only happens wth a passenger, but I don't want to ride 2 up until I get the problem at least identified!! I will have to keep looking!

There is some wear on the inside of the belt. It almost looks as if the belt is "Fraying" just a bit. That's where I expect it is comming from (tire rub). I know about the two shocks. I have adjusted them full out (towards the jam nut), I was only able to adjust them 1/16th of a turn. Really, no difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay... this is probably a no-brainer, but please check tire presure on that back tire. Under a load maybe it is spreading out and coming into contact with the belt. Long shot, but worth checking.

Actually, sometimes the no brainers are the simple things that are overlooked!! I never even gave a second thought to the tire pressure!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! I will look first thing tis morning! Thanks for not putting it differently! I feel lke an idiot for such a simple oversight. I know to always check the basics, but some how I just didn't think twice about it. I do notice that while riding two up, I get more "floating" when hitting a bump. This too could be caused by inadequate tire pressure. Thanks Ken!

How old are these shocks?Sounds like they've had a long and heavily laden life.I'll bet your damping is long gone,along with your spring tension.All they're probably doing is holding the swingarm to the bike.
It could well be time for new shocks and springs.Do you really need the lowered suspension?Seriously,do you?

Couple of more things:How is the rear wheel alignment?If it is at an angle across the swingarm,you'll get that funny wear pattern that shows in the pic with the sprocket.And as mentioned,check your spacers and the POSITIONING of the wheel in the swingarm.Particularly with the front sprocket to rear sprocket alignment-ie: a straight line.Further,also as mentioned,i'd be checking the rear tyre for correct fitment/size.Lastly,that abrasion on half of the tyre edge looks like a wear mark from up inside the rear guard.Have you had a good look high up on the inside of the guard?

Good luck.

Well Guys. I think Ken may have stumbled onto the problem of BOTH issues! A simple oversight on my part may take care of it. The manual says 30psi in fornt and back but 40psi with passenger. My tire pressure is at 28psi cold!!!!!! Duhhh........!!! Sometimes we all try and overthink a problem and re-invent the wheel! First we have to make sure it is round! LOL!!! I feel like an idiot, but am very thankful to al of your inputs, otherwise, I would be buying $350.00 shocks! Kuddo's to you all!!

Well Guys. I think Ken may have stumbled onto the problem of BOTH issues! A simple oversight on my part may take care of it. The manual says 30psi in fornt and back but 40psi with passenger. My tire pressure is at 28psi cold!!!!!! Duhhh........!!! Sometimes we all try and overthink a problem and re-invent the wheel! First we have to make sure it is round! LOL!!! I feel like an idiot, but am very thankful to al of your inputs, otherwise, I would be buying $350.00 shocks! Kuddo's to you all!!

Hope it works out for you, over 30k members here to help what a deal:p

Hey DJ,
I hope it is just the air pressure. Air is cheap! Please let us know if that does the trick. I honestly don't remember what air pressure I kept in my Fatboy, but it was whatever was printed on the sticker on the frame. My wife is only 110 pounds so maybe it wasn't even an issue for me. But I am a stickler for checking air pressure.
Very best wishes...

Adding air pressure and adjusting shock preload should always be part of the prep for riding 2-UP...! That extra cornering clearance is eaten up quite a bit by the addition 2" sack typical when adding a passenger and luggage. Just don't tell your partner that they add WEIGHT...LOL...even with a helmet, a smack on the side of the head resonates LOUDLY. :newsmile100:

Back