free website stats program 99 evo vibration problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

99 evo vibration problems

On solid mounted engines there is alot of vibration ,the vibration is designed to be transfered to certain areas , this is one reason that torque values come in to play, when parts get changed or tightend for maintanance reasons it is a must to torque back to specs, A lot of guys will go over the nuts and bolts on there bikes just to make sure every thing is tight, this is not a bad thing to but sometimes things get to tight and transfer vibrations from one area to another . have you changed your pegs or foot controls or have you changed your bars or risers , maybe just gave them a once over with a wrench, have you added parts to the frame , I would start with the bars and risers , maybe change the bar dampers with 13,000 miles on your bike then torque spec all and then move on to the neck and on to the foot controls ,then swing arm .

Well i had a Harley mechanic look over my bike and balanced my tires, check my motor mounts. All were great. He told me on a scale from one to ten. My softail rated about a 9 on the worst hes felt. Anybody have any other suggestions? it would be greatly appreciated.

Did he give any of his thoughts on this problem??

On solid mounted engines there is alot of vibration ,

I agree to check EVERYTHING -- I do have a ? --- 99 evo being SOLID mount engine?????

Evo Softail frames are solid mounted and is supposily designed to absorb the viration throughout the frame (yeah right). I beleive softail frame went to rubber mount when the softail went to the twin cam engine. There are ways to lessen the vibration (proper tension to the primary chain, etc,..), but it's not all gonna go away. Get use to it...I did. It's still a great ride!

Agree never gonna get rid of all vibrations it is 84-99 tech, But new bushings in the swing and new shocks , along with new dampers in bars and adjust neck to spec , the bike will ride as close to new a 99 as possible.Ive been throgh this very same thing on a ST , I would start by taken one turn off the riser ,take for a ride and see ,If results are good ,then I would spend the $20 for dampers then go to the neck and so on . where talking about some labor and a few bucks here unless the shocks are bad then you have to spend a little more cash. Just to give you another example ,I once had a bolt come loose from an exhaust bracket figured it was lost in the wind So I replaced it and a couple of weeks later it lodged it self between the swingarm and frame ,the result was a vibration on my foot pegs and controls that was constant, it took me 2 weeks to figure it out the cause of this vibration.when I saw the bolt I knew excactly where it came from.

The mechanic checked primary chain for tension. That was good. He also said he checked torque on the bolts. He said he thought the bike was just worse than others, the vibrations are so bad that my feet on my highway pegs start iching when I ride it for awhile. My lower back where my backrest is does the same thing. I know i will never get rid of vibrations completley just want to minimize it so i can take a long roadtrip without stopping so often. Oh, you can clutch the bike at 65 and vibration is still there so its not motor. He recomended if i didnt want to sell it that we could look into a six speed tranny.

The mechanic checked primary chain for tension. That was good. He also said he checked torque on the bolts. He said he thought the bike was just worse than others, the vibrations are so bad that my feet on my highway pegs start iching when I ride it for awhile. My lower back where my backrest is does the same thing. I know i will never get rid of vibrations completley just want to minimize it so i can take a long roadtrip without stopping so often. Oh, you can clutch the bike at 65 and vibration is still there so its not motor. He recomended if i didnt want to sell it that we could look into a six speed tranny.

If the vibration is still there with the clutch engauged at 65mph and the mechanic is recomendind a six speed as a fix, Id be looking for a new mechanic.

Back