free website stats program '99-'05 Road King advice needed | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

'99-'05 Road King advice needed

You should be able to find a 2002 with less than 35K miles for a decent price; great platform to upgrade from. Bullet proof lower unit with Timken crank bearing and the last year for that bearing and the hot forged crank. I have talked to many grey beards that have ridden for years, from shovels on up and most will tell you that the '09 frame was an improvement but not worlds of difference in handling and not worth the trade off for some of the quality issues that came along with the later models.

If most were honest about the six speeds, long haul tourers excepted, and they have ridden five speeds before, will tell you that the six speed is useless until you hit 70mph.

I would also look for a carbed bike, you won't get the same fuel economy that you will get with EFI but no matter what you do to the motor, i.e., bigger bore, longer cams, headwork, etc., you can tune her yourself.

I bought a 2002 FLHT five years ago, built the motor, modified the transmission with the Twist Gear kit, upgraded the front suspension with 18" wheel/RT springs/Ricor intiminators, all bore 107" motor, TMan SM600 cams, SE upgrade cam plate/pump, Dorfman's pro street porting, RH TDs and a few cosmetic modifications

When the '10s came out, I actually considered selling her and moving up for the new frame, six speed, etc., that is until I rode a couple of the '10 models; I would trade my old FL even for one of the later models. She runs smooth, cool and quiet and guys always look her over because they can't tell what year or model she is.

Obviously, I am biased :bigsmiley25:but I don't think you can go wrong with an '02 if you are looking for a platform to build up. If you just want a ride, not interested in performance upgrades, don't want to work on the bike, just ride and keep the oil changed, then look at the later models. Can't go wrong with the Road King either.

Sorry for the windy response; I love the older bikes, just think they have more character and soul.:D

Thank you all for the information. My wife and I are looking for smooth, fair weather riding. We are in our mid sixties and live in the Pacific Northwest. So, mostly comfort and trouble free is at the top of our list. Thanks for the many good tips!

Thank you all for the information. My wife and I are looking for smooth, fair weather riding. We are in our mid sixties and live in the Pacific Northwest. So, mostly comfort and trouble free is at the top of our list. Thanks for the many good tips!

If you are looking for two up touring, I would suggest moving away from a Road King and looking for a '09-'10 FLHT (Electraglide Standard). IMHO, a much better model for comfortable two up touring.

I own a 2000 RK. If I were to replace my bike I would look for a low mileage (@30k or less) stock 2002 carb'd model. However, 02-04 or 06 are good bikes that with regular maint should hold up well over 100k.
99 and early 00 models experienced issues with cam bearing coming apart and grenading the engine. All bikes still on the road should have had the cam bearings replaced IAW Harley maint requirement.
00-01 had issues with the rear swingarm cracking under the rear shock mount. (though hasn't happened on mine with over 135k miles).
02 and up swingarms are solid not hollow like 00-01. 02 and up rear brake pedal is longer than earlier models. Changed for rider comfort.
As stated above 03 changed to non-Timken bearing on the crank, which reportedly is a weak link.
04 rear tire is slightly wider due to change in swing arm clearance.
05 engines had problems with valve guides and excessive oil usage.
Cam chain tensioners are a regular maint item on all years. Mine are checked or replaced as needed every 25,000 miles. First set was good to @60,000 miles, the other sets less than 40,000. There are others that have had less luck with tensioners going south with less than 15000 miles. Not my experience.
You can get either carb'd or EFI up to 06 depending on your preference. Last carb'd RKs were made in 06.
So get an 02 with an 04 swingarm/rear tire and 06 heads.....dump the RPM limited stock ignition, air cleaner and replace the stock seat and handlebars with ones that fit your arm length/sitting position and you will enjoy the ride until you want to upgrade the engine to 95ci or higher.

What ever you do be sure that weighing out all the options leaves you in a good place to enjoy the ride. At times you pay to much for what you thin kis a great deal only to find problems that are hidden after you purchase. I as others have recommend, would spend a few more dollars and get a 08 or newer, because the price of upgrades to bike from Harley, far out weigh the addition cost in comparison..... Best to you to find the right fit. :s

Back