free website stats program 98 fat boy | Harley Davidson Forums

98 fat boy

bustertm

Hello to all fellow riders, I live in WI close to Milwaukee. Its riding time here again and I'm looking for some suggestions on a problem that I'm having with my Fat Boy. The primary drain plug is leaking and not sure what I want to do about it so I'm open to suggestions (tried lots of teflon tape) ie tapping a bigger hole, changing to dry clutch ??? so fire away with your suggestions.
Thank You
Buster

Hello to all fellow riders, I live in WI close to Milwaukee. Its riding time here again and I'm looking for some suggestions on a problem that I'm having with my Fat Boy. The primary drain plug is leaking and not sure what I want to do about it so I'm open to suggestions (tried lots of teflon tape) ie tapping a bigger hole, changing to dry clutch ??? so fire away with your suggestions.
Thank You
Buster
I use non-hardening aluminum-safe pipe dope. (sparingly)

How about replacing the plug itself. It's a tapered plug and inserting it too far can damage the threads and even crack the cover not to mention contacting the clutch basket. It's not a major job to retap it and use the newer type plug with the "O" ring on it either. Many choices here for this including a thread sealant on the plug itself.

Take a look here.

Primary Chain Case Servicing - Harley Davidson Community

I agree with Glider, the new primary drain plug cost me $3.95 at the dealer. Cheap fix if that is the problem.

Back