free website stats program '98 EG Radio Buzz | Harley Davidson Forums

'98 EG Radio Buzz

dapiper

Just bought the bike & have no manuals yet. What I do have is a radio/cassette player that just emits a low buzz. Won't receive any stations and will not play a cassette. Antenna appears to be hooked up. Pretty sure it's the original radio. Any one have any ideas?????

I've read other threads here on the forum with similar issues. Could your coax cable be broken internally? might be worth a look.

I have a 1995 Ultra Classic Tourglide with the same radio About a year ago it crapped out on me I hit a bump it would go off and then come back on when I hit another. I made lots of enquiries and was given many expensive quotes to install an aftermarket radio and was told by the Harley dealer that they did not repair them just got an exchange unit for a flat fee of $275 US which for me would be about $400 with shipping here in Canada which was way too much for me so I took the radio out and opened it up I had no idea what I expected to find but I did find a thingamajig when I touched it made the radio go on on off. I found an old school radio repairman and he completely overhauled it and resoldered the thigamajig for a total of $60 Canadian. I put it back in and it works perfectly. You might want to try this route and don't believe what dealers tell you they can be fixed !

Just want to add that this very good advice! Solder connections will deteriorate over time, just as any connection can loosen. But most importantly,... Dealers are out to make money! I own a 1992 FLHTP that I converted into an Ultra and I own a 1993 EGC. My 93 also had the same radio as you guys.

zoood/RJ

I have a 1995 Ultra Classic Tourglide with the same radio About a year ago it crapped out on me I hit a bump it would go off and then come back on when I hit another. I made lots of enquiries and was given many expensive quotes to install an aftermarket radio and was told by the Harley dealer that they did not repair them just got an exchange unit for a flat fee of $275 US which for me would be about $400 with shipping here in Canada which was way too much for me so I took the radio out and opened it up I had no idea what I expected to find but I did find a thingamajig when I touched it made the radio go on on off. I found an old school radio repairman and he completely overhauled it and resoldered the thigamajig for a total of $60 Canadian. I put it back in and it works perfectly. You might want to try this route and don't believe what dealers tell you they can be fixed !

Back