free website stats program 98 883 Seat | Harley Davidson Forums

98 883 Seat

rickc_77

Hi, I just picked up a new seat for my 98 883xl. Now the seat came off a 89 883......since the price was perfect and the seat was in great shape I could not say no.

Now when I tried to put the 89 sat on my 98 sporty I see that the seat may be about 1 inch longer where I need to secure the screw.

So my question is.....is there a seat bracket that I could be able to but where it would screw into the fender and then extend that inch where I'd be able to screw the new seat into the Bracket? Just trying to avoid having to drill into my fender if at all possible.

Any thoughts or ideas would be great......I know I can't be the first to be asking this type of question.

Thanks

-Rick

The seat from an 89 sportster should fit straight on to a 98 sortster with no modifiction or adjustment
i got confused on your post is it a single or dual seat is the seat too long or too short perhaps the 89 seat has been modified from stock ???

Brian

Hi Brian,

The seat is a double and appears to be just less then one inch longer then the standard seat that I currently have. I looked at the 89 seat and do not see any modifications......the spot to screw in just appears to be to long to line up with the fender.

I am aware that some of the later model of solid mount sportster that had larger petrol tanks could not accomodate all the seats and had a shorter seat because of the larger tank but i was not aware that that was the case with 883 sportsters unless it is the r variant

Brian

Any thoughts or ideas would be great......I know I can't be the first to be asking this type of question.
Thanks
-Rick

If the seat itself is not covering the fender hole, see if you can either drill a hole in the current bracket closer to the seat, or remove the bracket and make a shorter one. If the seat does cover the hole, make an extended tab out of a piece of 1/8" flat stock. Attach with bolt to fender,and put a 1/4"x20 countersunk screw through the flat stock from the back, and secure seat with a nut.

Back