free website stats program 97FLHTCU Cruise Control Stepper Cable | Harley Davidson Forums

97FLHTCU Cruise Control Stepper Cable

Uthud

I feel stoopid. I can’t figure out how to remove the stepper cable from the step motor. There is a connection on the left side frame near the seat and gas tank. I can separate the housings there, but I don’t see how to detach the stepper cable wire from the ribbon cable coming out of the motor/module. How the heck do I get to the barrel to get it loose from the motor?

The rest of the story: the “cruise engaged” indicator light (green) goes off as it should when I tap either brake, but the throttle doesn’t retract. To close the throttle I have to force the twist grip down. I can see that the cable is fraying right where it exits the sheath. My plan is to snip the eyelet from that end of the wire, then extract the wire from the sheath by pulling it out from the other end, get a suitable wire from the bicycle shop, insert into the sheath and reattach the eyelet. The stepper cable (56372-97) is way obsolete. I was able to buy on the eBay a module/motor complete with stepper cable attached. It hasn’t arrived yet. But I would still rather repair original as described above.
So, can anyone explain how to separate the stepper cable from the module? I must be missing something simple?
Thanks.

There is a small retaining ring that holds it in place
Thanks for responding. I see the retaining clip on the eyelet end of the wire where it connects to the carburetor, but I don’t see how to separate the other end of the wire from the ribbon cable that comes from the module/motor.
There is a snap together connection that I can begin to pull apart, but I can’t see how to disconnect the cables. I don’t know how to gain access to the internal area where the cables actually are connected. I can’t see a retaining ring on that end. I can’t see anything but a white plastic block that the stepper cable threads through. I’m guessing that this particular part was only used for a couple of years.

Thanks for responding. I see the retaining clip on the eyelet end of the wire where it connects to the carburetor, but I don’t see how to separate the other end of the wire from the ribbon cable that comes from the module/motor.
There is a snap together connection that I can begin to pull apart, but I can’t see how to disconnect the cables. I don’t know how to gain access to the internal area where the cables actually are connected. I can’t see a retaining ring on that end. I can’t see anything but a white plastic block that the stepper cable threads through. I’m guessing that this particular part was only used for a couple of years.

I replaced mine on my 05 Ultra Classic some time ago but for the life of me I don't recall how I did lt. If it comes back to me i'll respond.

Thanks, JK. From my research, it appears that the cruise control parts changed a few times over the years.
Your 05 is probably not exactly like mine.
I appreciate your input.

Thanks, JK. From my research, it appears that the cruise control parts changed a few times over the years.
Your 05 is probably not exactly like mine.
I appreciate your input.
Did you figure it out? I have the same issue and trying to replace the cable.

Thanks!

I still haven’t figured out how to get the wire cable loose from the module/stepper motor. I was able to snip the fraying barbs from the cable (carefully). Then I put powdered graphite lube on the cable. Cruise has been working so far, but I still want to do a proper repair.
I bought a cruise control module ( used) on the eBay, complete with the cable attached.
But, I sent a PM to a guy on another forum who said that he did what I want to do: just replace the wire cable. I asked him how he got it apart, but no answer yet.
I will post here if I ever figure it out.

Back