free website stats program 97 Ultra top end power loss | Harley Davidson Forums

97 Ultra top end power loss

TheBarney

Hello All

I have a 97 Ultra which has 47000 miles on it. It will run like crazy until I shift to 5th gear and over 50 mph then after that it is like the more I try to give it throttle the slower it goes. It I slowly throttle it will creep up but no quickly. Also I am getting approx 28 MPG and no I am not a speed deamon. It has new plugs and I have started to run high test gas to see if that helped and it did not.
Any help would be great and thanks.
Barney

:small3d014:

l

the more I try to give it throttle the slower it goes.

Did this problem start all of a sudden or was it a gradual process of performance deterioration. Was the Ultra Classic in 1997 carb or throttle body? Have you modified, changed, or upgraded your ignition system or spark advance curve. Does your bike have a VOEs switch.
What fuel, spark curve & ignition system changes have been made to your bike. Need more info.

It seems as if it has been slow to get to this point I did not notice it all of a sudden. It has a carb on it, I have not done any mods to the bike at all. If it has a VOEs switch I dont know about it.
I am running high test gas in it, as for the rest it is just stock.

Hello All

I have a 97 Ultra which has 47000 miles on it. It will run like crazy until I shift to 5th gear and over 50 mph then after that it is like the more I try to give it throttle the slower it goes. It I slowly throttle it will creep up but no quickly. Also I am getting approx 28 MPG and no I am not a speed deamon. It has new plugs and I have started to run high test gas to see if that helped and it did not.
Any help would be great and thanks.
Barney

:small3d014:

Pull your air cleaner off. Start the bike and watch the slide inside the carb to see if its moving when you crack the throttle. If not, you may have a ripped diaphram. I bought a used Road King that was acting the same way. Bad diaphram!
WAP.gif

Pull your air cleaner off. Start the bike and watch the slide inside the carb to see if its moving when you crack the throttle. If not, you may have a ripped diaphram. I bought a used Road King that was acting the same way. Bad diaphram!
WAP.gif

VERY GOOD suggestion, I can see where IF the vacuum wasn't opening the slide to UP position it would run like this.. The slide staying Closed or Not opening fully enough would act like a Choke.. Also mileage Down shows that may be the problem..

Nice call by 2000classic...

signed....BUBBIE

Today I picked up the 97 Ultra and it was the diaphragm that was bad. Since it was in the shop I had the carb rebuilt and now have all the power back in my bike. Runs like new again. Thanks for all the info.
:newsmile093:

Back