free website stats program 96" to the 103" | Harley Davidson Forums

96" to the 103"

I have buddies who have. The 103 is great for torque and low end. Those that like screaming at highway speeds swear by the 110.

Glider has some pretty strong opinions about the risk of either upgrade having to do with the connecting rods in the 96's being a point of failure. I'd check in with him before doing anything. I'm guessing you could put some aftermarket rods in to address the weakness.

The problems are with the cranks themselves. They are pressed together and not pinned or locked in any way and excessive power or something like a missed downshift or even the excess load of a burnout has caused them to scissor a bit and have excessive run out which requires replacement. It's covered under warranty but I don't want an engine that has had the cases split at the dealer level in my bike.

I think in the future that Harley will come up with a better crank like in the older motors. This is why I don't recommend building up a 9g engine to anything other than stock. Even at that, there have been dome cranks going bad.

Crankshaft Runout (videos) - Harley Davidson Community

Crankshaft Runout Inspection - Harley Davidson Community

I had it done to my 2007 FLHT I love it, I had the mod. done w/500 miles on my bike, I know have 10k made several trips, and I haven't had any problems! the mpg's changed about 8mi. less per gallon, but to me it's worth it!

Ditto to the above. I have about 10000 miles on mine with a couple of long trips no problems.... Love it.:small3d026:

MY 07 Ultra had the dealer 103 on it when I got it. Was in Colorado over 4th of July with 11 other riders. Got 48-50 MPG in the mountains. and 40-42 on the way there acn back from KS/MO line. Really comes on around 2200 and stay till around 4300.

I have a 103 motor and I love it. It has gobs of power and still gets 45 mpg with two up and loaded with gear. I have almost 20,000 miles and upgraded at about 8000 miles. So 12,000 hard miles and no concerns. I haven't measured the crank run-out but if Glider says there may be a problem, well then, maybe there is. I haven't seen it or talked to anyone that had a problem.:57:

I have a 2008 FLHTP with a factory 103. No problems after 3000 miles. I do notice that I don't get as good on the MPG as my friends with the 96.

Thanks for the info , I am having the 103 stage 2 put in because Harley is replacing the rear head under warrenty & I only am charged a extra 4 hours labor plus the kit , I was the best time to upgrade to the 103 stage 2 IMO .

I just had a 103 stage 3 kit installed... 10.5:1 pistons the entire kit including heavy breather intake and clutch spacer. A LOT OF DIFFERENCE. It almost is not woth spending any money to go to 103" withoutout the higher compression pistons big cams etc. You will also have to have compression release set up.
Total cost is abou $2800

Back