free website stats program `94 FXDS has an Issue, Your Help; Appreciated | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

`94 FXDS has an Issue, Your Help; Appreciated

You sure you are not haviin an ignition failure, very common on V2 ignitions

Have you done a fuel pressure test?
Hard to do with a carb, it flows from the tank via gravity and float level

Try rerouting and insulating your fuel line, you are percolating(boiling } your fuel before it gets to the carb
Double wall fuel line and wrap it in an insulator, keep it as far from the cylinder heat as you can JMO

I bet your ignition is causing the problem not the carb
HD93FLHT010.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I could be wrong if the fault is with the ignition system getting warm it usually takes a bit of time to cool down to a working temperature
You should also consider ice forming on the ports as it will melt as soon as the bike stops

Brian

oops I thought it was injected also.
From the sound track it sounds like running out of fuel, no popping or back fire.
Can you take a spare spark pug with you and when it happens pull off 1 plug wire put the extra plug into the wire and place the threaded part on the cylinder head than try to start it to see if there is any spark, you need to do this when it won't start. Just a quick way to see if you lost ignition.

Jeff Klarich:
Replacing the fuel line with a double wall fuel line and wrapping it in insulation is something I can handle and it makes sense.
When you say ignition, is this in the cone where points should be? In the diagram it would be #40? This is my first bike with electronic ignition.

Joel:
I`ll try the spark plug against the cylinder I`ve done this before to check firing. What I`m thinking is that it will spark because I can restart the bike immediately after having to shut it down.

fin_676:
I`m in southern California, it was 85 degrees Saturday when it was acting it`s worst. I`d love to have a 42mm Mikuni. I had one on my Shovelhead, made the bike come alive, but it`s not in my budget at the moment.
I think your right about if the ignition system is getting hot it does usually take a bit of time to cool down to a working temperature. I can restart the bike immediately after having to shut it down.
Thanks guys for all the advice. I`ll try them all and keep you posted.
Rod

How about a spray bottle. We use to poor water on fuel pumps when they vapor lock. You could try to cool down a coil the same way.
Just seems fuel related to me still. In the audio it didn't sound like any back fire condition. I would think it it was electrical there would be an excess amount of fuel build up than spark resulting in some black smoke and maybe back fire.
Have you watched the exhaust. Does it smell lean, or rich?

No out of the ordinary odors. I`m about to go work on it some more. I have a new petcock to install, new hose to the VOES and when I test ride it I`ll have a spark plug in my pocket.

Success!! I pulled the petcock, it looked like it had been through a wood chipper. I installed the new one and difference in gas flow was unbelievable. I feel pretty dumb, I flushed the tank, replaced the inline filter and didn`t even think about inspecting the petcock.
I rode about 30 miles up the Pacific Coast Hwy 1 and it ran like a dream. I`m confident the problem is resolved, but knock on wood.....
Besides feeling stupid, I feel bad for wasting your time on this, what should not have even been an issue.
I appreciate everyone`s time and effort spent trying to diagnose my problem. It`s refreshing seeing an online community coming together to help a member in need. I now have a greater respect for this forum and forums in general. I also have a better understanding of what membership really means.
Long days and pleasant nights,
Rod Walsh

Good deal happy riding, watch that fuel line between the cylinders ;)

Back