free website stats program 93 oct gas | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

93 oct gas

91-93 is in range for your current HD's unless you have jacked the compression way up.
As of the quality of the fuel, long as your filling up at a good station I would not waste one minute worrying about it.
Couple times a season some sea foam or like product to help with the natural moisture that can build up over time.

Agree with Smitty. Too many real issues to worry about without adding one that's not an issue. Just add some sea foam from time to time and don't worry.

91-93 is in range for your current HD's unless you have jacked the compression way up.
As of the quality of the fuel, long as your filling up at a good station I would not waste one minute worrying about it.
Couple times a season some sea foam or like product to help with the natural moisture that can build up over time.
Thanks Smitty and all the other responders. My concern was using gasoline that is not used a lot by cars/trucks - I use regular 87 octane gas in eveything I have but the bike. Im sure, well, almost sure, that about 80% of gasoline bought today is regular or 87 octane. That tells me that the 91/93 octanes are not being pumped in and out very often and that was the reason for my posted question. After reading here, I guess I really don't have a huge concern afterall with "OLD" gas in the station tanks. I think I may try 91 octane - but really its only about 10 cents a gallon less than 93 and thats only saving about 40 cents a fillup. My owners manual says to use AT LEAST 91. Sounds like 91 is the minimum octane and perhaps 93 would be the better choice.

Bill

I don't understand how too high octane will cause engine knock???
Gasoline is rated by Research Octane plus Motor Octane divided by 2. Yellow tag on retail pumps is R+M/2.
I guess very low compression and very high octane engine would see POOF instead of POP leaving residue in worst case.
Good discussion though.
wilks3

I've never seen 93 octane anywhere in Eastern NE/Western IA when I'm out riding - always go w/91 octane because it's pretty much the highest available in our area.

91 octane is very hard to find around the upstate of S.C. so i run 93 and i'm very picky as to where i buy it the local HESS station runs great and i try and plan to fill up there but if i am away from home i look for a BP station (if i don't see a HESS station in sight) i also keep track of my fill-ups and run sta-bill through every 3rd tank, one time a few years ago we had a gas shortage and all the stations had 87 in all there tanks had no choice bought 2gallons to get me home....it ran fine but i was not crazy about it being in my tank as soon as i found a station with 93 i filled my gas jug up with it went home siphoned the 87 out and replaced with the 93

Back