free website stats program 9,10 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Touring Models • Fluid or Oil Leaks
• Cosmetic Information
2009 Touring Rear Fork Rusty Water Leakage
Some 2009 Touring models exhibit drainage of rusty water from the swingarm (where the debris
deflector mounts), which has raised customer concern.
NOTE
This is a cosmetic concern and not an indication of an internal issue.
Figure 1. Swingarm
The potential water entry points are a forward facing drain hole (used in production) in the pivot
shaft area, the two upper holes for the brake line retention clips, and the holes underneath the
lower belt guard. On low mileage vehicles this may be residual after-wash from manufacturing's
pre-paint procedure that did not boil out during the paint bake process, or it may be from external
sources (puddles, washing, etc.) after the motorcycle was put into service. Dependant upon the
amount of debris remaining inside the fork from the manufacturing process, and the fact the belt's
debris deflector runs across the lower drain hole, it is possible for the water to build up and become
contaminated. Add a few MPH to the equation along with the associated air flow and this stagnate
water can slowly work its way out and onto the rear of the vehicle.
Chassis
TT413: 2009 Touring Rear Fork Rusty Water
Leakage
June 3, 2009
TT413 1 / 2
We have yet to hear of any parts that could not be cleaned up using normal maintenance and
cleaning / polishing procedures, as outlined in the owner's manual.
However, to ensure the condition does not continue we recommend opening up a clear escape
path for the water to exit by:
1. Removing the debris deflector
2. Marking the location of the swingarm's drain hole, using some grease to find the drain hole
(just forward of the center mounting screw)
3. Drilling a 0.250" hole in the plastic debris deflector (not the swing arm), directly in line with
the swingarm's drain hole
4. Clean the vehicle, if necessary
5. Reinstall the modified debris deflector
Figure 2. Debris Deflector
If this repair is made while the vehicle is within its factory warranty and the components are
"OEM", please file a warranty claim with the following information. Use the swing arm as the
failed part without a quantity and labor code 2616 for 0.2 hours of labor. Also, please use 6106
as the Customer Concern Code and 1116 as the Condition Code. Please reference this Tech
Tip number in the comment section of the claim.
2 / 2 TT413

Bubbie, here is the text from the bulletin;

The potential water entry points are a forward facing drain hole (used in production) in the pivot
shaft area, the two upper holes for the brake line retention clips, and the holes underneath the
lower belt guard. On low mileage vehicles this may be residual after-wash from manufacturing's
pre-paint procedure that did not boil out during the paint bake process, or it may be from external
sources (puddles, washing, etc.) after the motorcycle was put into service. Dependant upon the
amount of debris remaining inside the fork from the manufacturing process, and the fact the belt's
debris deflector runs across the lower drain hole, it is possible for the water to build up and become
contaminated. Add a few MPH to the equation along with the associated air flow and this stagnate
water can slowly work its way out and onto the rear of the vehicle.
We have yet to hear of any parts that could not be cleaned up using normal maintenance and
cleaning / polishing procedures, as outlined in the owner's manual.
However, to ensure the condition does not continue we recommend opening up a clear escape
path for the water to exit by:
1. Removing the debris deflector
2. Marking the location of the swingarm's drain hole, using some grease to find the drain hole
(just forward of the center mounting screw)
3. Drilling a 0.250" hole in the plastic debris deflector (not the swing arm), directly in line with
the swingarm's drain hole
4. Clean the vehicle, if necessary
5. Reinstall the modified debris deflector
(What they are referring to is the belt rock guard)

If this repair is made while the vehicle is within its factory warranty and the components are
"OEM", please file a warranty claim with the following information. Use the swing arm as the
failed part without a quantity and labor code 2616 for 0.2 hours of labor. Also, please use 6106
as the Customer Concern Code and 1116 as the Condition Code. Please reference this Tech
Tip number in the comment section of the claim.

That's everything but the pictures.
If I was the owner of an 09 or a 10 model bike, I would take it to the dealer and have this done under warranty, for 2 reasons.
1, if the dealer does it, it will be documented in the event that the rust inside the frame causes future problems.
2. It is Harley's screw-up and they should fix it.

If they try to say they don't know anything about it, Tell them to look it up for themselves, and reference Harley Davidson Tech Tip Bulletin #413

Hope this helps everyone out. I would sure hate to see anyones bike damaged in any way. Especially by something that could be hidden like this is.

Opps!! Sorry Glider. It took me so long to get my stuff in order that I failed to see that you already had it covered.
That's why you're the King!!

Opps!! Sorry Glider. It took me so long to get my stuff in order that I failed to see that you already had it covered.
That's why you're the King!!

THANK YOU AND THANK YOU.......

read both and I should remember.... NICE to get TWO replies....

SURE A LOT OF KINGLY PEOPLE ON THIS SITE!!!!

signed....BUBBIE

Back