free website stats program 88tc(95bb) vs 96tc | Harley Davidson Forums

88tc(95bb) vs 96tc

glyd-n

Just curious to know how the 88 thats been kitted to 95 stacks up against the 96. In terms of reliabilty and power.

The 96'' is just the 88'' with stroker fly wheels and a few improvements. The 88'' had the rear cam bearing problem possible (had replaced quite a few), the 88B had the crank sprocket spin possible, throwing the timing off the balancers ( done a couple), the 96'' had the possible flywheel problem (have not seen any), I think on all new models you find the flaws coming out of the gate. Even the 6 speed trans. Harley only put in dyna models in 06 had recalls and four years later no more 5th gear wine. The 88'' I was happy doing just cams, the 96'' I like doing cams and big bore as far as bang for your buck. Stage 1 is always a given. On the 96'' I do not recommend to my customers doing the 110'' package, I can get 106 ft lbs of torque with a 103'' package and with a 110'' only get 112 ft lbs of torque, those 6 ft lbs of torque get pricey when you have to pull the engine, split cases & bore. And far as bragging rights at the bar, mines bigger then your's, I've seen some pretty big guys get whooped by smaller one, now that's a good fight. When increasing displacement I always like a balance, doing part with stroke and part with bore, the stroke gives more but also cost more, the bore gives less but cost less, I feel with a good balance of the two you get the best performance & reliabilty. When I look at a 4 th gear roll on dyno run I like to see hp & torque close to each other, maybe a little more torque on heavy bikes and a little higher hp on lighter bikes and when they cross each other in a rpm range that you drive in, well it just feels good cause you use it.
Sorry if I'm babbling, my doc just changed my meds yesterday:D

Is every I said true? Do pigs fly?
FLYPIG.gif

That is great insight. I am thinking about going from a 96 to a 103. My local dealer recommended the 103 since I originally wanted the 110. Told me that I would save money and like it better.

That is great insight. I am thinking about going from a 96 to a 103. My local dealer recommended the 103 since I originally wanted the 110. Told me that I would save money and like it better.
Welcome to the forum subpelon, sounds like you have a dealer not a stealer there.

Steve when you put wings on a pig, it's still a pig, and we all know pigs can't fly:)

the 88B had the crank sprocket spin possible, throwing the timing off the balancers ( done a couple),

Not to highjack this thread but exactly what is involved here? I think I may have this problem on my 03 Fatboy. I have noticed that it is not running as smoth as it used to. In fact it is vibrating quite a bit, almost like it is not balanced at all. I had been wondering if it was possible for the balancers to get out of time.
Thanks,
Randall

Not to highjack this thread but exactly what is involved here? I think I may have this problem on my 03 Fatboy. I have noticed that it is not running as smoth as it used to. In fact it is vibrating quite a bit, almost like it is not balanced at all. I had been wondering if it was possible for the balancers to get out of time.
Thanks,
Randall
R. Bibgham, Sorry to here this, I'm sure you have checked engine mounts, changed spark plugs & checked for any trouble codes. The cause for the timing chain sprocket movement is caused by over revving according to Harley, 88b model motors cannot exceed 6,200 rpm. 88 can go safely to 6,500 rpm. The sprocket is a press fit on the crankshaft and comes with the fly wheel assembly for b models, only way to tell other then vibration, you know your own bike, it's really bad at handlebars & footpegs, is to pull engine and split cases and check alignment marks. If you're shure that's the problem I would send the engine to harley for re-man, in the end that would be most cost efficient. If a dealership does R&R motor has 12 months warranty if you do it they give no warranty unless your dealer will work with you, but I have never seen a problem with a re-man engine. Quality is better then new. Hope the sprocket is not your problem.

flywheel.jpg

Thanks for getting back on this Chopper.
Yes it does buzz at the handle bars and floor boards.

Since the sprocket is pressed on the flywheel I would assume that if I were to upgrade to a 103 crank and cylinders that it would take care of this problem?

Also am I doing damage to the bike by continuing to ride it or is it just a nuisance thing with the vibration? It will be a while before I am able to afford to do anything on this.

Thanks once again,
Randall

Yea, I you can ride it, don't know how healthy is, vibrations will shake things loose. if they get too bad you won't want to ride, You can do the stroker fly wheels no problem, you will need some good tools though, book time is 7 hrs. for the whole job including R&R engine, takes me about 24 hrs to do it, and that's humping it. Don't know if this is any help but harley finance does do re-man engines. low monthly payments? Sorrry for the bad new, keep the faith.

Back