free website stats program 883 Custom vs. Yamaha | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

883 Custom vs. Yamaha

This is why I think the dual sport may be better suited...:D My husband on his KLR in Fiji.

44768_427096204915_654809915_4722312_2643279_n.jpg

I didn't take that picture, but you get the idea. Lots of island to explore where the roads are primitive at best. :D

This is why I think the dual sport may be better suited...:D My husband on his KLR in Fiji.

I didn't take that picture, but you get the idea. Lots of island to explore where the roads are primitive at best. :D

Wow, now thats some pretty scenery:s

I really appreciate all the helpful suggestions. It helps to know about the different types of rims and such because I will probably be making most of my own repairs. How fast can it take a corner? Does the Low corner better than the Custom? Looks like they don't make the Custom any more.

I realize the Sporty may not be the most practical bike for my application, but practicality is not the highest thing on my list. For me, a motorcycle will be primarily entertainment so it should be fun, first and foremost. Since I will only get to ride it maybe once a week I can afford to have a frivolous bike. I love the way they look and sound!

The other good thing about a Sporty is they really seem to hold their value. If for some reason I change my mind I could probably sell it for what I paid.

Wow, we've had a lot of rain this year but not that much. Looks like our East End with the saw-tooth mountains. Gotta love it!

Crucian, you are correct in the looks & sound of the HD. :D I have accepted the fact that if I could only own one bike, I would probably have to choose the plastic fenders. :s But, I can own a couple of bikes & I love my HD. :D

We actually looked at a couple of Harley's while we were in Fiji, but most of the roads there aren't paved, so we would have been limited to basically riding the main road around the island. What fun is that after the 3rd or 4th time? :D I just wish we would have found the ride where he is in the picture when I was there. :( Oh well, next trip. :D

Good luck in your quest. :s

I really appreciate all the helpful suggestions. It helps to know about the different types of rims and such because I will probably be making most of my own repairs. How fast can it take a corner? Does the Low corner better than the Custom? Looks like they don't make the Custom any more.

Crucian,

Don't think there is much difference in terms of steering/handling between the low and Custom. Handling is more of subjective measurement. I think for the intended use, you'll find either one will do the trick.

The Sportster line is one of the lightest and quicker (at least with the 1200's)HDs thus, the Sportster name. But, that doesn't mean they are the most stable handling line. To some, the Dyna and soft tail lines (although higher in price) do provide better low speed stability that those riders found easier (smoother) to ride than the sportsters they previously owned.

Didn't mean to cause any confusion with the wheels. I think you'll be fine with either choice no matter what rims come with the bike you choose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joy did bring up the other point about dual purpose motorcycles...WEIGHT...your Sportster with gas weighs 570 lbs...a dual sport like what Joy was talking about is 400 lbs with longer travel suspension and semi knobby tires for offroad and on road fun. When dealing with remote areas of travel...570 lbs of fully gassed Sportster is a lot of weight to keep upright and street tires are no joy (sorry) when it comes to off pavement, river bottom, slippery sand and mud in the tropics. I like Sportsters, and they do have a dirt track heritage, but when it comes to dual off road and street purposes, the current Sportster in "Street Clothes" is not the right tool for your application...I for one hate to say that...!

BMW makes some sweet rides that would be way better suited than a Harley for the poor roads you have described.

Hogrotten, I was thinking the same thing, but then remembered OP had experience with Yamaha 400's...and was looking for something light and lean from a Harley...which is kind of a conflict in terms. The BMW and Adventure bikes of their ilk are made for BIG GUYS typically 6'7" and perhaps 200 lbs with weight training/physical prowess for doing long distance endurance riding on a 36" seat height saddle, standing on the pegs 50 to 60% of the time...certainly not with my 5' 6" 135 lb frame..."soaking wet" and living in the Carribean...LOL!

Back