free website stats program 883 Cam Cover Removal Question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

883 Cam Cover Removal Question

Welcome to the forum. You didn't say what year your bike is, but if you didn't take it far enough off that the gears unmeshed and it runs well, I'd say you're OK.
Thank you ! Sorry, it is a 2005 Sportster 883L. Hearing you say that gave me a big sigh of relief.

I can not be 100% sure on the rubber mount sportys but hd tends to keep stuff the same almost forever but under the cover there is only the gear train that includes the cams and if bike is running ok I would suspect all the gears are in the correct place oil leak will be caused by the gasket being disturbed when the cover was moved
Best fix would be to remove the cover and clean the mating surfaces and replace the gasket but this will require a strip of the rocker covers to get the tension off the cams so that they can be lined up again as usually some will come out of place when the cover is removed
An oil leak would fail inspection (m.o.t.) in this country

Brian

If you are talking about #10 in post #6 the only issue to be had might possibly be a knicked gasket. If bolts have been re-torqued to spec the most that might happen is a oil leak. Getting a Harley shop manual is imperative before next repair attempt for the procedures are well layed out.
Why was there attempt to remove cover?

I also think you are ok. Ride around the block easy, listening for noises, and noting how engine sounds before getting on the road again.

Start it up if you hear NO rattling you are OK, I doubt 1/4 inch would cause the cams or spacers to shift

If you are talking about #10 in post #6 the only issue to be had might possibly be a knicked gasket. If bolts have been re-torqued to spec the most that might happen is a oil leak. Getting a Harley shop manual is imperative before next repair attempt for the procedures are well layed out.
Why was there attempt to remove cover?
The attempt to remove the cover was a stupid mistake. An attempt to access the space behind the cover where a line (vacuum line ) from the carburetor ran. While replacing the gasket between the carburetor and the intake manifold. It slipped out and I wanted to make sure it didn't connect to anything. Typically I will read and watch some videos beforehand, but I made the mistake thinking all I was removing was a dressing cover. Oops! Ironically, I turned down purchasing the service manual at the HD shop while buying parts to save $60. I think I'll go spend it now.

Good news is the bike still runs great, and I may not have an oil leak either. ( I may have gotten very lucky this time. )

How critical is proper torque? I don't have a torque wrench.

Last edited:
The attempt to remove the cover was a stupid mistake. An attempt to access the space behind the cover where a line (vacuum line ) from the carburetor ran. While replacing the gasket between the carburetor and the intake manifold. It slipped out and I wanted to make sure it didn't connect to anything. Typically I will read and watch some videos beforehand, but I made the mistake thinking all I was removing was a dressing cover. Oops! Ironically, I turned down purchasing the service manual at the HD shop while buying parts to save $60. I think I'll go spend it now.

Good news is the bike still runs great, and I may not have an oil leak either. ( I may have gotten very lucky this time. )

How critical is proper torque? I don't have a torque wrench.
If you used a crossing pattern you should be OK, how ever torque is there for a reason

You will be glad when you get your service manual. I have never had a problem using proper torque in the service manual!

Back