free website stats program 88 electraglide | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

88 electraglide

I found out that the starter relay and the main breaker are on the side of my oil reservoir. Then I found that both my hi/lo, horn and my start/kill toggles were both grounding out. I replaced both sides, soldered and heat shrunk tubed both. Then I found out that 88 was a transitional year where the starter and the solenoid were separate. Is there a way to run all of the all the other body systems separately instead of running all systems through the solenoid drawing the (EDIT) out of the battery while trying to start? The whole bike is drawing at the same time. Can all other systems be segragated from the solenoid? Bypassed maybe, separate toggle somewhere?

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
You could re wire all of this, it would be a lot of work IMO. The solenoid and wiring is all there for a reason, kind of like the way a car is wired it is your bike you decide what is right for you JMO

it has cost me a new battery almost if not at least every other year. where would i look to find a new improved wiring direction? sorry all if i offended anyone when i used a walkaround phrase. there was no disrespect meant, was speaking out of frustration!

it has cost me a new battery almost if not at least every other year. where would i look to find a new improved wiring direction? sorry all if i offended anyone when i used a walkaround phrase. there was no disrespect meant, was speaking out of frustration!

http://www.officialharleyparts.com/harley/1988-93_flhs_889.jpg This is close to stock for your bike, If you choose to by pass the solenoid for your accessories you can add a remote start button to your starter Chrome Remote Starter Button for Harley Big Twin & XL Sportster - www.debrix.com

You have a starter relay that when start button switch is pushed, it disconnects all but required starting power. When you releasebutton all power comes back. I would look at the start relay (it's under the seat), if it is bad no power. I would also look inside the fairing, there is a one wire connection that is in that circuit that gave me problems on my '86.

Thank you for all input. I am starting to feel like an idiot. I bought a new solenoid but it did not come with a wiring diagram. The tech guy says wire it like the original but there is not one post that longer. I hook it up like the original but all of the post run to ground. I criss cross the battery and the starter and they do not ground anymore. At least the whole thing is not grounded out. In my service manual it says there is a gasket of some sort in there. Is that true? Is the solenoid body isolated from the bike body? how would a gasket do that when it is bolted to the housing which is grounded too. I am a bit frustrated. Can anyone give me some insight on this. I am getting a new battery on monday. I tested the starter relay and it actuates under power. I rewired all my hand toggles with new switches. I was thinking about starter relay replacement next...

Back