free website stats program '85 FXRS washer | Harley Davidson Forums

'85 FXRS washer

FLST

My cousin is installing the primary on his 1985 FXRS. Took it down 3 weeks ago to have cases chromed. After assembly up to outer case he had a washer left over. It is a flat washer with bevels on both sides. 7/8" od, 1/2" id, 3/16" thick. One side has a bevel around the outer circumference and the other side has a bevel around the inside circumference of the hole. I can't post a picture. From this lame description can anyone tell where this washer might go. I keep telling him to get a manual but after dumping $700.00 on chrome he can't right now. Thanks.

is it possibly the thrust washer from the starter. when I removed my primary, I almost missed it cause it stuck to the inside, then fell off, almost unnoticed. Though that was not a thick washer as you describe. I will look in the parts book and see if I can help.
Also if you PM me I would fax the page to you.

Just looked up the parts book, , sorry but I dont see anything that would he;p answer your question. could it be mixed in and not be long with the primary cover parts?

My cousin is installing the primary on his 1985 FXRS. Took it down 3 weeks ago to have cases chromed. After assembly up to outer case he had a washer left over. It is a flat washer with bevels on both sides. 7/8" od, 1/2" id, 3/16" thick. One side has a bevel around the outer circumference and the other side has a bevel around the inside circumference of the hole. I can't post a picture. From this lame description can anyone tell where this washer might go. I keep telling him to get a manual but after dumping $700.00 on chrome he can't right now. Thanks.

Question, did he have the inner and outer off? Did he pull the rotor and sprocket off? Did not forget to put the spacer back on ?

We did pull the inner case. We checked twice over and the spacer is in place. We were thinking the washer in question does not belong in the primary. May have gotten mixed up with parts from other work we did. Replaced drive belt first and he thinks it is a spacer for the belt guard. Dropping over to the dealer today to ask them. I'll check the catalog as well. Thank you all for your input. Problems seem a lot less frustrating knowing all the experienced help is available here.

Thank you all for the suggestions. The local indy said it doesn't look as if it belongs in the primary. My cousin is in the habit of piling all his parts in one pile and sorting them out later. He's usually good at that but not this time. Turns out the washer was for the belt stone deflector. I'll rib him about this for a long time. He always kidded me for my habit of laying things out in order.

Thank you all for the suggestions. The local indy said it doesn't look as if it belongs in the primary. My cousin is in the habit of piling all his parts in one pile and sorting them out later. He's usually good at that but not this time. Turns out the washer was for the belt stone deflector. I'll rib him about this for a long time. He always kidded me for my habit of laying things out in order.

Good you got it sorted out:s

Back