free website stats program 80/100 watt Osram bulb | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

80/100 watt Osram bulb

Be careful as these bulbs generate a lot of heat and can destroy the connector. Also they draw more current and have been known to destroy the high/low beam switches. Better to go with PIAA bulbs. They offer increased illumination with standard wattage draw.

Thanks for the warning. I checked the switch and wiring load ratings before I first used the bulbs. This bulb draws 6.67 amp at 80 watt low beam and 8.3 amps on the 100 watt high. Both are well within the range of my system. I usually ride busy roads on the low, to minimize heat, but on long dark and empty roads have ridden 3+ hours on high with no problem. I do make sure all contacts are clean and have light coat of electrical contact lube.

Thanks for the link to German Parts and I will check with O'reilly, that will be better than mail order.

Thanks for the warning. I checked the switch and wiring load ratings before I first used the bulbs. This bulb draws 6.67 amp at 80 watt low beam and 8.3 amps on the 100 watt high. Both are well within the range of my system. I usually ride busy roads on the low, to minimize heat, but on long dark and empty roads have ridden 3+ hours on high with no problem. I do make sure all contacts are clean and have light coat of electrical contact lube.

Thanks for the link to German Parts and I will check with O'reilly, that will be better than mail order.

I was refering to the heat generated, not the amp draw. I had connectors inside headlight shells turn to powder because of the 100 watt bulbs. If you want to use them, check Truck Addons or similar vendors that offer a high heat connector when using higher temp bulbs.

The heat from the bulb is not the only source of heat. The lamp itself for sure but, the connector or more specifically the 3 female spade connectors inside the body of the connector. These rely on the spring pressure of each connector to maintain a tight effective electrical connection. Every time the connector is removed from the lamp it is usually wiggled or rocked back and forth to help release the connector. This often weakens the pressure required to maintain the tight electrical connection resulting in an increase of heat inside the connector itself. As this heat increases it can further degrade the connection. This can happen even with a standard lamp. To avoid this minimize any wiggling/rocking of the connector when you remove it. KEEP your fingers off of the male spades of the lamp. Wipe the male spades with a clean rag or paper towel. Apply a thin coat of dielectric grease to the spades to make it easier to install and remove the connector to the lamp.

I've used the 80/100 Osram bulb for 4 years now and have yet to replace the first one(spare on the shelf) its been working great for me.

2002 FLHT

Back