free website stats program '66 shovel running problems | Harley Davidson Forums

'66 shovel running problems

brsteele

I have a '66 duoglide and am having problems with it staying running. It'll start easy and run untill it seems to warm up and then it wants to die, sometimes even while I am giving it throttle. What can be causing this and how can I fix it ?

Welcome brsteele;;;; well id check the choke make shure its off,, the butterfly in venturi that wire is working it correctly & check float height & clean carb this is where id start.. I'm talking bendix, yours may be different..

Just had engine rebuilt with maybe 400 miles. throttle cable broke and replaced itand that's when the problem started. runnung with an S&S.

I have a '66 duoglide and am having problems with it staying running. It'll start easy and run untill it seems to warm up and then it wants to die, sometimes even while I am giving it throttle. What can be causing this and how can I fix it ?

Asking a question like this is similar to...

"I have a red bike and it's not running too good, what can it be"?

You have to give some information as to the ignition type, carb type, modifications and anything else like what you have already done to troubleshoot the problem and anything that is relevant to get an accurate assessment of the possible cause.

Without all the facts all we can do is post suggestions all day long and never even brush on the actual cure for your problem.

I would start with the easy stuff.

Fuel Filter.

Make sure gas cap is properly vented. If the cap vent is not working it will cause the bike to sputter and cut out

Back