free website stats program 64 Sportster Help Please with Questions | Harley Davidson Forums

64 Sportster Help Please with Questions

muldergd23

I have riden for years and I just bought a 64 sportster and could use some information.

Here is what I know:

64 sportster
S&S carbs
stroked?
73 front end?
drag bars

Questions

1) How can I tell what stroker kit has been installed without taking apart? Side case says "Strokin" and I cant see a number on it from the side access point.

2) I think my rear end is from either an 81-82 or 84-85. What would be a way to find out what it is exactly?

3) Can you point me to any good information sources?

4) What is the proper kick start proceedure?

5) How can I tell if oil filter has been relocated or not? Its not in the oil tank.

6) How do I figure out what year the tank is on my bike because not a 64 sportster tank?

Thank you for any and all help provided.

Bryan

I have a 74 xlch high compression and i can tell you two important things. One, when you do kick it, make sure that pedal is under your heel. If that motor back fires and the pedal is at the ball of your foot or further forward, it will hurt real bad.
Two, when you do kick it, be ready to do just that. Don't hesitate, or kind of kick it, mean business and follow through with it. If you don't, it likely will backfire and that can hurt at worst, or throw you up in the air a little bit.
When i go to start mine cold, i cycle it over once, get it to the start of the compression stroke where the pedal gets firm, then i turn the key on and proceed to kick it. When it is warm, i get it to where the pedal is firm, turn the key on, and kick it.
The rest of your questions i would only be speculating, so i can only say--Good luck!!

Last edited:
I'm not sure when YOU can post picts.??? If you stick around long enough and POST to the threads here, Built up your posting count that shows US you are interested in being a active good MEMBER..... That is HOW to get us involved in an Answer,,, IS to see WHAT you have and Looking at picts will tell a lot.

signed....BUBBIE

Pictured will be a big help as Bubbie said, If you have no filter in the tank you probably have no filter at all, the in tank filters were poor at best, you can how ever put an after market one on with a spin on filter adaptor, Ultra good has a good starting procrdure for you, watch out for the free fall of the kicker, you will soon learn the term Sporster Knee, get back with some pics as soon as you can

I think you need a post count of 5 to get a pic up. I could be wrong.

So, log in, say hello to a few members, post some pics and I'm sure you'll have a few seasoned members with keen eyes that can help you out some more.

Good luck!

So, log in, say hello to a few members, post some pics and I'm sure you'll have a few seasoned members with keen eyes that can help you out some more.

Good luck!

That new member introduction section is good for a post or two.
I had my '74 out today. Was a bit tempermental to get started, who figured you would break a sweat when it is only 40 degrees out side. So, after almost an hour of talking to my self, mostly under my breath, and out the side of my mouth, it all paid off. She roared to life, and I was in the wind. Now though, my knee and ankle are so sore, I am limping and walking with one hand on the wall, but I have this smile going from ear to ear. Would the smile be as big if i would have just taken the ultra? I will never know.
I did solve the problem of the carb loading up with gas and dripping out the bottom of the air filter. Took the bowl off, and gently used a cue tip dipped in sea foam to clean everything that looked dirty, especially where the needle valve sealed of the gas inlet to the bowl. Put it back together, and no more dripping gas as of yet. Was pretty bad before, and the oil stinks of gas. Next time I have it out, it will be warm it up, and change the oil. One thing I did do. I got a roll of magnets from Menards, and cut a few strips. I put a bunch on my oil filter, I have an auxilary one by left foot, and a bunch on the oil tank away from where the lines are at. I figure for the $1 it costs for the magnets compared to almost $600 for pistons, gaskets, bore etc etc, what could it hurt. What were we talking about here???

:hii

I had my '74 out today. Was a bit tempermental to get started, who figured you would break a sweat when it is only 40 degrees out side. So, after almost an hour of talking to my self, mostly under my breath, and out the side of my mouth, it all paid off. She roared to life, and I was in the wind. Now though, my knee and ankle are so sore, I am limping and walking with one hand on the wall, but I have this smile going from ear to ear. Would the smile be as big if i would have just taken the ultra? I will never know.
I did solve the problem of the carb loading up with gas and dripping out the bottom of the air filter. Took the bowl off, and gently used a cue tip dipped in sea foam to clean everything that looked dirty, especially where the needle valve sealed of the gas inlet to the bowl. Put it back together, and no more dripping gas as of yet. Was pretty bad before, and the oil stinks of gas. Next time I have it out, it will be warm it up, and change the oil. One thing I did do. I got a roll of magnets from Menards, and cut a few strips. I put a bunch on my oil filter, I have an auxilary one by left foot, and a bunch on the oil tank away from where the lines are at. I figure for the $1 it costs for the magnets compared to almost $600 for pistons, gaskets, bore etc etc, what could it hurt. What were we talking about here???

See I told you about Sporster Knee, I think we have all been there on those ill tempered kick starts:p

See I told you about Sporster Knee, I think we have all been there on those ill tempered kick starts:p

I still don't understand the sportster knee thing. The limp i get is from my ankle. I shattered my ankle, heel, and not sure what else about eight years ago and now have a bunch of titanium in there. (Its lightweight for racing :s)
My xl is high comp, has a 74" stroker kit, 30 over, and domed tops. So much comp, that when in the comp stroke, you can stand on the pedal and it goes no where. So the extra force i exerted today, just agrivates it a bit.
I limp pretty good just from walking excessively, or even from a little bit of walking if it is on un-even surfaces. But still, its not the knee. Not yet anyways!!!!!

What causes this sportster knee?

I'm not sure when YOU can post picts.??? If you stick around long enough and POST to the threads here, Built up your posting count that shows US you are interested in being a active good MEMBER..... That is HOW to get us involved in an Answer,,, IS to see WHAT you have and Looking at picts will tell a lot.

signed....BUBBIE

Good luck!

Bubbie is spot on with his advice. Just so you know, you will need 5 'meaningful' posts to be able to post a picture. :s The new member welcome area posts do not count for post counts and anything that is only a reply with one word and a smiley may be deleted if it is deemed to be a 'post count builder'. :s

follow the advise you got here and do post pictures that is ging to help a lot ,as far as starting the bike ,it would depend on what 1964 model sportster you have is it a ch or H ,( Mag or Battery)

Back