free website stats program 6 Speed Trans | Harley Davidson Forums

6 Speed Trans

wombat457

Okay - I have a 97 FLSTC with a stock 5 Speed Tranny in it. The tranny seems okay BUT once I get up to 60 MPH the feels (and sounds) as though it needs one more gear.

With that being said - is it worth dropping a 6 Speed Transmission into a 25 year old bike and what are the pro's and con's of "perhaps" doing so?

What's your rpm's at 60 mph? What if any mods have you done? Big expense dropping a 6 speed tranny in a 25 year old scoot. In my opinion the price tag is not worth what you would gain on a bike of that year.

What's your rpm's at 60 mph? What if any mods have you done? Big expense dropping a 6 speed tranny in a 25 year old scoot. In my opinion the price tag is not worth what you would gain on a bike of that year.

Jeff, thanks and you gave me the answer I was after - cheers.

By the way - no idea what rpms I am pulling as the bike doesn't have a tacho and my ears aren't THAT good :) Only mods thus far are an S&S Air Cleaner System and a V&H Big Shots Staggered Exhaust. Cams, lifters, pushrods, bearings etc etc are to come next month :)

Last edited:
The mods you've made would not make any difference how your scoot acts/runs as it was designed as far as the tranny is concerned. In my humble opinion I would not waste the money on a six speed for a 25 year old scoot unless you have money to burn and plan on keeping it for another 25 years.:)

Jeff - I plan on keeping the bike for ever or until I can no longer ride anyway. It was just a thought and not much more I my part but didn't think it would be that expensive :)

Trannys are not my specialty so i'm not even sure if one is available for a 97 model. Have you thought about changing the sprocket to get a few more rpm's? that would be a lot cheaper to maybe achieve what your looking for. I think this topic has been discussed here in the past and you should be able to find it in the self help section.

Thanks Jeff and no I hadn't considered changing a sprocket ... might be worth looking at along with the other thread here. Thanks again mate, appreciate it.

I did some checking and it looks like you can swap your 5 speed for a 6 speed for your year scoot but it may be more than you want to spend. I'm not sure but you may be able to change to a 6 speed using the existing gearbox and changing the gears only, again not cheap. Changing the sprocket to more teeth or less to achieve what you're looking for may be the easiest and cheapest way to go.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in as well.

Jeff - (EDIT), thanks mate didn't expect you to go to all that trouble. Ahh well - if it is possible then perhaps I can add to the maybe list for next year. It's funny though, sometimes I go out and the bike sounds as though it is revving its butt of just to get to 50 MPH - yet at other times, like just now, I cruised back home at 65 - 70 and it sounded great, no strain at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff - (EDIT), thanks mate didn't expect you to go to all that trouble. Ahh well - if it is possible then perhaps I can add to the maybe list for next year. It's funny though, sometimes I go out and the bike sounds as though it is revving its butt of just to get to 50 MPH - yet at other times, like just now, I cruised back home at 65 - 70 and it sounded great, no strain at all.
No trouble, that's what we're here for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back