free website stats program 5th gear whine | Harley Davidson Forums

5th gear whine

spartacus55

I have an 07 Road King I installed IDS when the bike was pretty new 5th gear noise was gone. At 10,000 mile service changed tranny fluid from syn 3 to redline shockproof heavy. The whine has returned , not as loud as original problem but i could definetly hear it. Has anyone had similar problem and did you change tranny fluid for a 3rd time.

Very unusual for the whine to return with the IDS installed. I would go with Spectro platinum on the next change and see what that gives you.

I installed IDS when the bike was pretty new 5th gear noise was gone. .

Not that it is relevant to the question, but what I don't understand is how did IDS remove the noise to start with. If the noise was truly spur cut gear whine in 5th gear,(title of thread) how would IDS eliminate that. I could see IDS helping if the bike was chain drive, but belt drive already provides isolation of noise travel and reduction in amplification of noise through metal parts.
IDS is a drive train power absorber, how would it dampen gear noise. ?

When you installed IDS to start with, did you change brands of gear oil at that time also? To me the brand of oil would do more for the whine than IDS would. IDS does not change the torque requirements put on the gears.

Hoop

The IDS was designed to eliminate the "can of marbles" sound at lower RPM's that the 07 bikes had as a result of a poor design in the compensator sprocket. One other advantage it gave was the reduction of the gear whine while I don't think it was originally intended for that, it did work well in doing it. I installed the IDS on my RK and it made a dramatic change in the manners of the bike , removed the "can of marbles" sound and also silenced the noises from the shortcomings of the compensator design.
The Spectro platinum gear lube did the rest in silencing the gear whine for me.:D

Hoop

One other advantage it gave was the reduction of the gear whine while I don't think it was originally intended for that, it did work well in doing it.

Wow that is interesting.
I had this haunting feeling the OP went to IDS at same time he changed brands of gear oil. The bike got quiet and the credit for that went to the IDS system and not the oil.
Guess not,, Tks for info..

Thanks for the feedback guys . On my next fluid change interval I'll give the spectro silver a try. The whine is not as loud as before i made the original adjustments it's just one of those things that just bothers me thanks again.

Was your drive belt tightened at your 10,000 mile service? If you have the famous 5th gear whine using Redline Shock Proof Heavy something else changed at the 10,000 mile service. Don't ask me how I know.

Thanx Glider i'll try the spectro platinum. I'm not sure if the drive belt was tightened at the 10,000 mile service but i will ask the dealer and get back to you.

Last edited:
Back