free website stats program 4 bikes - 4 oils, the test begins | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

4 bikes - 4 oils, the test begins

I've read a lot of good things about the Lucas oil and Red Line oil, but I've heard that both of those are high in molybdenums. Have there been any reports of problems with the clutch or are those fears unfounded?

Thanx.

Jim

ON MY FXDS 2000
ENGINE OIL with LOTS OF MOLY
I have used REDLINE for(all my motors) many bikes and model - years.........
Redline recommends 20/50 20/60 MOTOR OIL for the harley engine

FOR THE TRANY
I use their SHOCKPROOF HEAVY full syn (NOT ENGINE-OIL)
Converted to a 6/speed no, NO metal on magnet NEVER EVER (45,000)

PRIMARY - CLUTCH
redline recommend their MTL- full syn (NOT ENGINE-OIL)
it is designed for a wet clutch......
I have over 120,000 on my 2000 dyn

BUT
I AM ON THE SAME CLUTCH no problems (all original as bot from harley).... only a new chain 2 times with original sprockets still GOOD
NOW THATS A GOOD PRODUCT (MTL)

LOTS OF HOP-UPS
I have 95" 114 hp and I'm NOT easy on it ONCE the clutch is out.
NEVER realized until i posted this how good of use i'm getting out of CLUTCH using redline MTL

just the way I have done things for many years and miles.....
signed....BUBBIE

This thread happened before I came to HDT and I have to say that in my haste to utilize the site for it's technical expertise I did not spend the time to really follow the "human" side of the site. Only later did I really start to warm up and follow the other topics. Sadly, I did not have the opportunity to have a conversation with this truly remarkable person. My sincere condolences to Terry and his family.

I know politcs is a flaming subject...but from discussions with several cousins on Coline's side that are in Iraq and Afganistan, my gut tightens up when I hear news like this. The human cost of this war has been way too high...especially when it was Bush(s) "finishing the job" agenda so the US casts the first stone with a pre-emptive strike, to overthrow a government, even one as bad as Saddam Hussain (we supplied him with the original "weapons of mass destruction" and lost control and oversight of them), then fired the royal military guard in power (who had knowledge of where all the weapon depots were), without money or food for their families no surprise that all the munitions disappeared to be used later against our own U.S. troops. Those IUDs are the product of parting out high yield munitions into many small but powerful weapons today using everyday support electronics like garage door openers to detonate them...truly frustrating! :49:

Last edited:
I was just reading through the thread...Trying to decide which fluids to decide on in which hole...When I came across the whole "Terry is no longer with us" section. Kinda makes "deciding which lube to use where" seem pretty unimportant.:newsmile077:

God speed & R.I.P. Terry...Thank you brother. :USA

My sympathy and thanks to his family as well...

This kind of stuff really hits me hard... At the risk of sounding "stupid", there is little doubt I'll probably associate something meaningless like changing my fluids on the scoot with a faceless person's ultimate sacrafice (at least to me, I didn't know him personally). That's just me...That's how it works for me. I hope that doesn't sound cheesy or disrespectful... Not my intent.

Timotwo

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that it really matters...but for the record (to prove Terry's research and others opinions in the thread were heeded) I'll probably put Mobile1 VTwin in the engine, Formula + in the primary and Mobile1 75w 90 LS in the tranny. Wanted to put the Spectro 6 speed 75w 140 in but couldn't find it in town (believe it or not!) and reconsidered the that weight...Probably a little "heavy" for winter...I'll make the move before Summer (or stick with the Mobile1 brand and use THEIR 75w 140....Unless Glider and Co convince me otherwise) :)

Thanks All....

Timotwo

It grieves me badly to hear of another of the free worlds guardians has paid the ultimate price for us.I (like many of you)have friends and aquaintances serving in both theaters,and a cold shiver runs down my spine when I hear of another fallen hero.My thanks to Terry,both for his input to HD talking,and his selflessness in doing his duty.My heart goes out to Terrys family,and my deepest sympathys.
Terrys oils test has exited a spirited debate over here in my club,and convinced many of us to change our way of thinking,regarding the best lubs to use.Perhaps Terrys family can draw some small comfort in the fact that he has had a positive impact on the lives of his fellow bikers/soldiers on this side of the pond also.

My prayers are with Terry and his family. I just read the thread and its such kick in the stomach when you hear the news. Thanks

Having just finished reading this great thread back to back and taking notes along the way I got involved in the story and its horrible ending.

Although I know this is very vague and possibly will never reach the people who mattered most to Terry, I still want to extend my condolences and express my feelings towards everyone who knew him.

All the best,

Whilst I sympathize with the situation and wish his family well, it behooves me to mention that would he not have preferred for the test to continue to it's final conclusions for our sake - the riders he wished to assist.
I'd hate to see this go down in vain, and hope there's someone to pick up where it was left off. I just wish he'd had Amsoil in one of the bikes, since that's one I'm beginning to really believe in.

Back