free website stats program 3rd gear off and on, on the Baker 6 gear | Harley Davidson Forums

3rd gear off and on, on the Baker 6 gear

hkhajah

Hi, I have a 2005 Eagle Glide, I installed the Baker 6 drive on it 2 years ago and i recently started having trouble with the 3rd gear, its like coming on and off on and off when driving. I took the bike to the mechanic and he checked the gear and it was all ok !
Pls note that my bike engine was recently upgraded to 124 revtech and my clutch is Hydraulic.... The clutch is also giving me a hard time when changing and im thinking of changing it to the Screamin Eagle race clutch....
** Does any one have any idea what i could ask the mechanic to check regarding the gear ?
Thanks

I would like to hear a little better than In and Out.. IS it actually NOT in third or is it just the feeling?

IN-Between gears usually means the shiftings adjuster (if one?) needs adjusting/shift-fork bent? ?

Have you had problems for a while that LEAD up to the problem or did it happen all at once?

Is It getting worse?

what gear lubes do you use in the baker? Have you just switched?

Describe that in detail and Many will try to help.

Signed....BUBBIE

I agree with Bubbie's post. If all other exterior adjustments have been checked (clutch, shift linkage etc) then you are gonna have to get the cover off and examine the shifter prawl and the shifter forks for evidence of bending etc. You will want to examine how everything is sitting in the shifter cam.

There is a possibility that you have a tooth missing on the gear it's jumping out of but that's a long shot to the rest.

Well it started suddenly on 3rd gear mostly and just a little on 2nd gear, if i drive on slow or fast speed its the same... it drives like the gear clicks on and then off the gear on and off like your pulling the clutch and releasing. The mechanic checked the gear and said it was ok . There is a long piece of metal in the Gear that changes the gear (i think its called shifting adjuster) it was a little bent and the mechanic made a new one. Now the 2nd gear is ok when riding but my problem is on the 3rd gear.
Synthetc Lubes by Revtech... used

Well it started suddenly on 3rd gear mostly and just a little on 2nd gear, if i drive on slow or fast speed its the same... it drives like the gear clicks on and then off the gear on and off like your pulling the clutch and releasing. The mechanic checked the gear and said it was ok . There is a long piece of metal in the Gear that changes the gear (i think its called shifting adjuster) it was a little bent and the mechanic made a new one. Now the 2nd gear is ok when riding but my problem is on the 3rd gear.
Synthetc Lubes by Revtech... used
No problem with your choice of lubes by Revtech as long as it is a Gear Oil.

That sounds like the problem... 3#rd gear Must have the same problem as second or Not adjusted properly..

May I suggest,

I'd go straight to baker and ask one of their technicians and Tell them what was found and done.... Nothing Like going to the Horses Mouth...:58:

Let us know. Hope we helped a little.

signed....BUBBIE

Just saw you are out of the USA. That makes things a little tougher.

Baker transmissions are about as good as it gets, I would have your mechanic re think the shifter forks , if the gears look OK and that would be main shaft and counter shaft it must not be engaging completely, so it would be a shifter fork or clutch dog not sliding 3rd gear in fully

Isn't there an adjustment on the shifter prawl ? Could this be his problems ? I'm wondering if it's not rocking the shifter cam back far enough to move the shifter fork enough.

Isn't there an adjustment on the shifter prawl ? Could this be his problems ? I'm wondering if it's not rocking the shifter cam back far enough to move the shifter fork enough.

Could very well be, My guess is this bike has been rode hard and probably has a bent shifter fork JMO from the OP stating this was a big inch motor?

Thank you all for your help.. Im sorry i didnt reply sooner as i was away on a business trip.
I contacted the Baker engineers through their live chat on the web and they were very helpful , turns out that i have the DD6 Baker gear on my bike which does not handle high torque engines , i was advised to use the old OD6 ....
What a waste of money i spent on the DD6 Gear... now i have to remove it and install the OD6 instead ...

Back