free website stats program 3.5 quarts oil ???? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

3.5 quarts oil ????

Too much oil will also cause the Air filter to drip hot oil does expand:s

Glazier - I have a 2001 Heritage and it came (used) with the aftermarket dipstick with thermometer. with my bike on jiffystand - I read NOTHING on that dipstick - I lean it upright, and it shows about right. Perhaps I am low on engine oil ;-( The dipstick, like yours, says to check on jiffy stand but my manual says to check upright. I like the idea of checking on the jiffy stand so maybe I need to add oil??? when I change oil - I put in the proper amount per the manual.

Bill

How do you keep to oil from running out of the filter if you put a few oz. in . When on the lift the bike is horizontal , or do you drop it down and have it on the jiffy stand before putting the filter on ?

Glazier - I have a 2001 Heritage and it came (used) with the aftermarket dipstick with thermometer. with my bike on jiffystand - I read NOTHING on that dipstick - I lean it upright, and it shows about right. Perhaps I am low on engine oil ;-( The dipstick, like yours, says to check on jiffy stand but my manual says to check upright. I like the idea of checking on the jiffy stand so maybe I need to add oil??? when I change oil - I put in the proper amount per the manual.

Bill

Our bikes should be the same. But like I posted before, I get the same reading with the stock dipstick and the bike upright as compared to the thermometer dipstick on the jiffy stand. Just a suggestion, but you might want to buy a stock dipstick and compare the two. Is your thermometer the digital or old fashioned type? Mine is the old fashioned type.

How do you keep to oil from running out of the filter if you put a few oz. in . When on the lift the bike is horizontal , or do you drop it down and have it on the jiffy stand before putting the filter on ?

I do it on the jiffy stand and you've got to be quick. But it's already a mess where the filter goes from when you've taken off the old filter. I cut a plastic Coke bottle in half (long way) and put under the old filter when removing it, so most of the old oil drains into the pan. Think I got that tip from this site. Works great.
And if your bike is horizontal when its on the lift, I think you're doing something wrong. I would assume it should be vertical, not horizontal. :D

By horizontal I mean when putting the filter back on , as to being tilted towards me when on the jiffy stand . LOL yes the bike is vertical .

By horizontal I mean when putting the filter back on , as to being tilted towards me when on the jiffy stand . LOL yes the bike is vertical .

I know. I was just being a, well, you know. :D Try it with the bike on the stand. The angle of it helps to get the filter on without losing any oil and you get more of the old oil out.

My problem is I don't know if I can be that quick and I know I'd have to be , if only HD put a nut on the bottom of their filters then that would help a lot !

Well,
I took 14 oz.'s out , rode it, and it's STILL over. I quit, I'll check it after tomorrows ride.

NOT Saying your is.....

If a motor is Holding oil in the crank area,,, SUMPING and not Pumping back out MIGHT cause a similar Problem....

I have suggested in the past to a rider to Measure what comes out of the bike and see IF all the oil Has come out.. It turned out his bike had a pump problem and wasn't Pumping oil back as needed.. Collecting oil in the sump area

His symptoms included Oil out the air breathers and Lack of power cause the Crank was Swimming in oil.

signed....BUBBIE

If a motor is Holding oil in the crank area,,, SUMPING and not Pumping back out MIGHT cause a similar Problem....
Bubster

Sumping would cause a low oil level because it's all in the motor cavity and not in the tank.

Back