free website stats program 2500 Full Oil change? | Harley Davidson Forums

2500 Full Oil change?

bwalsh22

Okay, I got my bike 2 months ago now (it was an 06 with 1800 miles on it). After the first month in the shop...long story on other threads...I have been riding it now for the past 3 weeks and racking up the miles quick, approaching 2500.

When my bike was at the dealership for the engine light, I had him do an oil change (since I am sure the previous guy told me it needed it), left it standard HD oil. Anyway, when I was checking out they mentioned a 2500 mile service to change the primary and transmission oil as well. This is not in the manual from what I saw. Is this necessary? Otherwise I am going to wait till the end of the season or 5000 to embark on this myself. Thanks Joy for the write up. Thoughts?

1 more question...Do I need a lift to do these changes? Or can I do them with the bike on the jiffy stand? I know buying a lift will be cheaper anyway then taking it to the dealer.

Thanks for the help.

I've done two changes on my Street Glide without a lift. To me, it's almost easier without the lift because the oil has shorter to fall into the pan on the floor so less chance of making a mess.

Thanks all for the help, and yes, this bike definitely had some maintenance questions. I know it wasn't winterized last year, and my guess was that he had the 1000 mile service (told me HD picked it up and took care of it) done, then rode it for the next 800 till he sold it, so not terrible. Not to mention some of the rust and lack of cleaning. I'm still working on getting it all cleaned up, just want to take everything apart and clean each piece.

Become a big fan of pledge in the process so far :) Thanks Glider.

Guess I'll have a weekend to start work on it shortly, thanks to all this forum has been tremendous.

Back