free website stats program 20k service- what should I pick up? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

20k service- what should I pick up?

Look under greasing steering neck bearings. Not sure if Sporties have a grease fitting. It may entail disassembly and cleaning then lubing bearings and reinstalling....

Greasing if fitting is there does not need lift..

This link may help: grease fitting in frame neck - Harley Davidson Community
Thanks for the response.

Manual references a "need not disassemble" grease fitting. I think I identified it, I just had no idea what it looked like. Just kind of a small gold-colored majigger on the clutch side of the neck that juts out parallel to the ground. I am assuming this is correct. :p

thanks all. Now to go buy everything tomorrow (pay check Friday nomsayin?).

If it looks like this, it's a zerk (grease fitting)

3APA1_AS01.JPG

Thanks for the response.
Now to go buy everything tomorrow (pay check Friday nomsayin?).

Just for reference the first time I lubed my Electra Glide I used 2+ tubes of small grease tubes. Be sure to look at ratings of chosen grease and use grease with a drop point of 500 degrees or more. The reason being you will never have the grease melt on your front fender when outside tempature is hot....

Click on link: Harley Davidson Community

:majesty

You guys make me feel like part of the family. :)

If it looks like this, it's a zerk (grease fitting)

3APA1_AS01.JPG
Bingo. I finally just googled "zerk grease fitting." Doesn't seem very hard to get at. Others have said that it seems next to impossible to get the gun in there but doesn't look difficult with the angle mine is at.

Just for reference the first time I lubed my Electra Glide I used 2+ tubes of small grease tubes. Be sure to look at ratings of chosen grease and use grease with a drop point of 500 degrees or more. The reason being you will never have the grease melt on your front fender when outside tempature is hot....

Click on link: Harley Davidson Community
I was intending on using the HD grease. (#99856-92)

It has been greased before (excess occasionally comes out of the top and bottom).

Thanks a bunch guys. I really appreciate it. :D

Doesn't seem very hard to get at. Others have said that it seems next to impossible to get the gun in there but doesn't look difficult with the angle mine is at.

On Zerk fitting...... If deciding to change to a 90 or 45 be careful of threads....On my 2008 EG the threads were metric..... I found this out by SAE would not thread in so I tried the OE fitting in a metric nut and wala...

Back