free website stats program 2020 Road Glide Limited preignition issues | Harley Davidson Forums

2020 Road Glide Limited preignition issues

Ray52

I bought my first Harley and had a Stage 2 upgrade (cams, high flow pipes and air filter), done at 1000 miles. Now I'm at 2800 miles. I have learned that once my motorcycle warms up I'm having preignition issues when I'm throttling up. Sometimes it sounds like small nuts in a metal cup, sometimes it sounds like one nut thrown into a metal cup. Sometimes the sound is really intense. Anyway, I took it to my purchase dealer and they were unable to resolve the problem, reason being that they do not have a dynotuner. So, now I am heading to another Harley dealer with a dynotuner who might be able to take care of it.
Preignition is happening pretty much when I accelerate through a RPM range as it is intense. It almost sounds like a very small amount of preignition is happening when I ride at any RPM.
I'm kind of nervous about this.
My questions are:
How much preignition is acceptable,
and,
At what point does a preignition issue damage the engine?
I use premium gas, 91- 93 octane, usually top tier.

You didn't mention "tuner" as part of your stage II package. There are "fuel adders" and "programmable tuners" on the market. Fuel adders do just that, add fuel. Tuners add fuel and adjust timing to the engine's needs. Adding cams calls for additional fuel at a minimum, and ideally, on the fly timing adjustments.

You didn't mention "tuner" as part of your stage II package. There are "fuel adders" and "programmable tuners" on the market. Fuel adders do just that, add fuel. Tuners add fuel and adjust timing to the engine's needs. Adding cams calls for additional fuel at a minimum, and ideally, on the fly timing adjustments.
Thank you for your response. I own a 2020 Harley Road Glide Limited. The dealer has told me that after market tuners and some after market parts will void any and all H-D warranties. So, I'll learn today if my motorcycle preignition problems are resolved after it is dynotuned. I hope it will be.

Welcome from Ohio.
Sounds like the dealer screwed up and didn't get it tuned right, and it's running way too lean.

To answer the OPs questions; no detonation is acceptable and even a little can cause serious damage. The bike shouldn't be ridden until the detonation issue is eliminated.

I am a TC guy and not as familiar with the M8s but I think liquid_wrench got it right. Dealer without a dyno installed Stage II hardware with no fuel/timing adjustments. Even a Stage I upgrade should be tuned in on a dyno; add cams with earlier intake valve close events that increase compression and you have a recipe for detonation. The M8 motors run high compression in stock configuration so a Stage II upgrade surely increases compression.

The OP needs a fuel management system or a tuner that tunes with TTS or PowerVision that sells licenses; motor cannot be dyno tuned without a fuel management system, either the tuner's or the owners.

Back