free website stats program 2017 or 2018? | Harley Davidson Forums

2017 or 2018?

ImaRider

Been out of riding for a year and looking to get back into it again.
What I am looking at are 2 Deluxe models, one single tone blue and the other 2 tone blue(17).
OTD for the 18 is 18350. The 17 is 17610 OTD. Both new just leftovers.
Previous bike was a 17 and I know how good it was. Not sure about the extra cost of the 18 and the newer engine.

HD has not solved the issue of trans fluid migrating into the primary on the new M8 motor. Not all are experiencing the problem but why take a chance; stick with the 2017 TC. JMHO.

I had a 2017 Deluxe,put just under 10k on it.Got a 2018 Road Glide with the Milwaukee 8 in it.Got about 5k on it right now.The migration problem is something I have only read about.I guess they are trying to buy em back and find a cure.But,no one I know,or have heard of,besides in magazines and that.Has had that problem.Doesn't keep me from worrying about it.But it seems pretty rare.Doesn't seem to come on slowly,bikes either have it or they don't.Now,the difference in these two mills alone,is worth getting the new bike for(2019).Also a new frame Deluxe-wise.The power I get in my bagger can only be stronger in a Softail.Not a better lookin bike on the road than a DeeeLuxe.004.JPG

Believe me, there are plenty of unhappy M8 owners that have experienced the fluid migration and wet sumping issue. IIRC, mid to late last year the MoCo did issue a tech bulletin introducing a new $25 oil pump to plate seal that apparently addresses the wet sumping issue. The seal will retrofit to all M8s. However, the trans fluid migration issue appears to be alive and well in the 2019 models but apprently, the MoCo has come up with a retrofit fix recently but I have not talked to anyone that has tried it. It would appear that riders that "baby" the M8 don't have issues but the riders that are more demanding of the M8 power plant do.

Not throwing shade and the M8 but given the OPs choice, why take a chance when the TC motor, after 20 years, finally as been debugged. JMHO.;)

Well,I don't go to tough on mine,but have read they either have a problem or don't.I'm sure we could agree it's on a small number compared to all they build.I'm just glad to hear they are coming up with a fix.Last time I paid it any attention,they were still scratchin their heads about it.

I have the transfer issue.First noticed at 10000 miles.Gear grinding while shifting.24,000 on her now and third gear stripped.In the shop right now for rebuild.

I have the transfer issue.First noticed at 10000 miles.Gear grinding while shifting.24,000 on her now and third gear stripped.In the shop right now for rebuild.
I remember you mentioning the grinding,I did as you suggested,put redline in.I'd like to hear how that all works out for you.Like what are they replacing,how long it takes.

You have Me mixed up with someone else.I use Formula plus.I was concerned with using any thing else, because it would mix with the Formula plus in the primary.Been in the shop for a month.Mostly waiting for extended warranty to authorize $3000 repair.Parts should arrive this week.They are replacing the gear set worth $2000.

[QUOTE="Harttoo]I have the transfer issue.First noticed at 10000 miles.Gear grinding while shifting.24,000 on her now and third gear stripped.In the shop right now for rebuild.[/QUOTE]

Assume they are going to fix the migration issue as well?? $25 seal. Make sure they do this and refer to the tech bulletin; don't have the number.

Back