free website stats program 2013 Street Glide very hard to start cold | Harley Davidson Forums

2013 Street Glide very hard to start cold

Billy Ray

Ok you Harley mechanics,,,, I got one for ya.
2013 Street Glide every day rider
New battery
New plugs
New wires
Pulled fuel pump assembly for visual check and to clean tank, every thing is A-Ok. The fuel pressure regulator will spray out the nipple side for about 2-3 seconds when ignition is turned on but shuts off the spraying and will not do it again in till I turn off key for an extended period of time.

it’s turns over great and tries to start immediately but then will puff smoke through breather and will continue this for a while unless I take heat gun and warm the engine up. After that initial start it’s starts like a champ even if it sits all day and I get on it after working 10 hours and it’s dark out, it fires right off. But over night it’s cold cold in the morning and this is what I get. Very hard to start.
Bike runs top shelf through gears, and is a 38 mile one way trip back home cruises about 90mph just a purring. Very smooth. But in town, I get a little pop in exhaust from just worsting the throttle for quick rev like under a bridge how we love to hear that whhhhhaaaaaaauuuuuubbmmmmmmmmmmm

it will also hesitate from a dead start but has never died on me. It just started this and no changes were made for this issue to just come up. I’ve read tons of posts to no avail. Any suggestions?

How many miles does the bike have?
Check for vacuum leaks when engine is cold.
Did you replace the fuel filter?
I had a RKC that did very similar symptoms, replacing the filter improved first start up and eliminated decel backfiring.
A weak battery / slow cranking can also cause the first start up symptoms.

How many miles does the bike have?
Check for vacuum leaks when engine is cold.
Did you replace the fuel filter?
I had a RKC that did very similar symptoms, replacing the filter improved first start up and eliminated decel backfiring.
A weak battery / slow cranking can also cause the first start up symptoms.
I will try filter and cleaning the TMAP sensor and see what’s up then. I am getting code PO1353 but it is firing cause if I pull plug wire off it doesn’t run at all.

How Cold are you talking? Below 30 degrees? Do you run synthetic oil 20w50....should be good. If not synthetic you may want to try it, I know mine was hard to start with dino 20w50 in colder weather.

How Cold are you talking? Below 30 degrees? Do you run synthetic oil 20w50....should be good. If not synthetic you may want to try it, I know mine was hard to start with dino 20w50 in colder weather.
Yes it has only done it when it’s below 30 degrees and yes I use the synthetic oil. I cleaned map sensor and cleaned a few plugs and put lith grease on them while I was in there. Cleaned the butterfly and cleaned breather out real good, but couldn’t test because I don’t like disturbing my neighbors at 11pm at night. I’ll check it out in morning but it’s not going to be that cold so we will just have to see. Thanks for all the tips.

Back