free website stats program 2013 FLTRU Head Bearing | Harley Davidson Forums

2013 FLTRU Head Bearing

spd301

I recently (2 months ago) bought a 2013 Road Glide Ultra, with 7,200 miles on it. Great bike. Love it, and a huge step up from my 2004 FLHRCI.

I had the bike in at my local dealer, swapping some parts out. They told me my head bearing was loose. They told me I could leave it to fix later, but it would cause some wobble in the steer at low speeds (below 45 MPH). I had already noticed an occasional wobble a few times at lower speeds.

Should a bike that is 1 ½ years old, with less than 8K miles, have this problem?

Thanks for the feed back.

Get the front tire off the ground and see if it is running true, could be a bad mount job or a bad tire. Might even be a bent rim. Low air pressure will also give you some headaches. Once you rule that out look in the manual and do a fall away test. The head bearing may be loose.

I would bet that the head bearings have never been lubed and would try that first. Only reason for this comment is the dealer did not see a concern of taking care of it now. With lack of lube in bearings now, you may need replacement later. Check the front tire for cupping which is usually the culprit for low speed wobble. Not the head bearings....

Don't disagree with previous posters but I would get that front wheel off the ground and check the head bearings. The dealer tech may actually know what he is talking about but if he doesn't, at least you will sleep better.:D

Back