free website stats program 2011 Model Upgrades | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2011 Model Upgrades

Should be interesting to see when they get in service with the additional electronics which seem to be the dealers weak areas for diagnosing problems. They had better keep spare modules around the test for a problem using them or they will go out of business pronto.

I was thinking the same thing...consolidating all the electronics into one huge monolithic (read expensive) unit seemed like a backwards direction too me! :newsmile030: In this day and age of "disposible" electronics, you would have thought that they would leave as is, as the module functions were separate and easier to troubleshoot and substitute. They also had to go through a complete hardware and software design change as well...negating benefit of previous design with more inventory across the board new part numbers cost money in themselves and logistics right along with it.:newsmile017:

I was thinking the same thing...consolidating all the electronics into one huge monolithic (read expensive) unit seemed like a backwards direction too me! :newsmile030: In this day and age of "disposible" electronics, you would have thought that they would leave as is, as the module functions were separate and easier to troubleshoot and substitute. They also had to go through a complete hardware and software design change as well...negating benefit of previous design with more inventory across the board new part numbers cost money in themselves and logistics right along with it.:newsmile017:

Kind of reminds me of the first electronic ignitions and fuel injection problems the MOCO faced, and now with a suspect buying public how will they continue to explain they all do that or give up when faced with a problem the R D dept should already be pondering, very good post here NEWHD and Mr. Data food for thought:p

.. Does it mean the older WAS insufficient?

That can be said about ANY improvement made to a design. I am thankful that they tell and list each and every one of them.

You know how many improvements have been made to the Big screen TV since it 1st came out? Almost the same number as parts that are in it.

Like the se compensator standard they should make that a recall now lol.

They did not say it was the SE compensator. They said it was the same DESIGN as the SE compensator.

Do we know for a fact the washer spring rates are the same as the SE compensator.? No we don't yet know that for SURE.

They did not say it was the SE compensator. They said it was the same DESIGN as the SE compensator.

Do we know for a fact the washer spring rates are the same as the SE compensator.? No we don't yet know that for SURE.

Also very curious if same washer springs. Wouldn’t be surprised if OEM comp is a different part number than the SE comp sprocket (PN 40274-08) and the MoCo designed a spring washer for the 96ci. Perhaps wishful thinking? :D

Not being a machinist, obviously, wondering:
Is no bushings in the cam plate a good thing or manufacturing cost saving?
Connecting Rod: bore honed rather then cut; good thing??
Upper taper forged rather than cut? Cost Saving??

It would make sense to design all compensators the same way as in the SE "design" and then just use the proper washers for the application you are installing it in. This would eliminate the cost of making a standard compensator for a street bike and a performance compensator for high weight or high HP applications.

I am very curious to see what the part number is for the "2011 SE standard issue compensator". Who knows maybe they ARE the same exact unit. My money is on that they are Not the same washers.
Everything else being equal but not the same washers.

And Can Bus technology using a Body Control Module. That does mean the end to the shade tree mechanic for sure. Two wire hand control communicating over a twisted pair bus. Low current signals through the ignition switch. No post fuses for branch circuits. And a Body control module that must be programed by the dealer. That is even a challenge for people with the right tools and training.
It works in cages but their modules have more protection from water, vibration & heat.
I believe they will have challengers in front of them. Getting the techs up to speed with understanding how they work and how to diagnose the problems. I now see them not being able to understand simple electrical circuits and TBW problems much less communication protocols on local area networks.

Extended warranty will now be a must in my opinion.

Hoop, you got it right...clocked serial bus logic control would be tough to troubleshoot, think of a 3 dimensional PC map and apply it to a multifunction processor module...this could get ugly if things don't go right the first time. Honestly, I like high tech, but this type of technology while being "state of the art" is not the "nuts and bolts" approach I would rather have seen HD R&D apply itself, to keep costs in line and still offer value using their existing technology. I like the the new Sportster white & chocolate brown one I sat astride it at the dealer...it felt small and light, made me want to take it out and flog it like a dirt bike.:small3d007:

Back