free website stats program 2009 Road Glide Excessive High Idle | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Road Glide Excessive High Idle

There are a lot of TBW bikes out there, how many are having a problem? I have not heard of a single case in my area, other than the high idle due to shutdown at greater than 1000 RPM, which is easily restored and usually goes away as you get used to ensuring the throttle is not twisted when you hit the switch.

I have not either, except for the 1 this post is involved in. Lets sure hope it remains that way. But I still feel very uncomfortable with the fact the OP's problem did not post a code. That leaves just too many loose ends in regard to the issue.

There are only 2 explanations I can come up with on why no code(s) were posted. (well several but lets not get into that now) One would be that it is not a TBW problem to start with and maybe it was a bind in the throttle body shaft or vane. The DC throttle motor should have had enough torque to overcome a bind but who knows. Actually a 4000 RPM no load "idle" would not require a lot of vane or butterfly opening. I don't think a pegged IAC stepper in neutral would give you 4K RPM. Think the limit is something like 2K.

The 2nd would be that Both (I believe there are 2) pots in the twist grip failed exactly the same way at the same time.
A 10K X 10K chance but possible.

I thought everyone here would find this interesting. Picking up the bike tomorrow; we'll see.

A wrongful death lawsuit has been filed in Texas, alleging that a malfunctioning electronic throttle on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle caused a fatal accident in 2008.

The Harley-Davidson lawsuit was filed in Tarrant County court by Cindy DeBartolo, whose husband, John, was killed on March 24, 2008 when he lost control of his 2008 FLHX Harley-Davidson days after repairs were supposedly made to address problems with the throttle. Cindy DeBartolo was also riding on the bike at the time of the crash and sustained serious injuries in the motorcycle accident as well.

According to the complaint, the electronic throttle malfunctioned on the motorcycle just a week after John DeBartolo purchased the Harley-Davidson bike on March 15, 2008 from Longhorn Harley-Davidson in Grand Prarie, Texas. He took the motorcycle back to the dealership for repair, and it was returned to him on March 22. The motorcycle accident lawsuit alleges that couple was riding the bike two days later when the electronic throttle failed again, causing the fatal crash.

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. and LHD Partners L.P., doing business as Longhorn Harley-Davidson, are named as defendants in the lawsuit. DeBartolo alleges that the motorcycle was defectively manufactured and unreasonably dangerous, and that the dealership failed to properly repair the electronic throttle.

In December 2009, Harley-Davidson issued an unrelated recall for more than 111,000 family touring motorcycles due to fuel tanks that could leak or catch fire after a crash. The Harley-Davidson motorcycle recall affects 22 different models of 2009 and 2010 Harley-Davidson Touring, CVO and Trike motorcycles, which were manufactured between June 6, 2008 and November 19, 2009.

That is Terrible news. If throttle by wire was indeed the cause, it is just more evidence that points to the system not having IPC software or an E-Quizzer. And the Service Writer rolled his eyes saying "it just Can't be".
Don't ever think it can't. Trust me, it CAN be.

Sharp, I am curious how you found that news story

Been wondering when this problem would rear its ugly head in our life style, good luck to all who have problems with throttle by wire, I dont think this problem is going away any time too soon

I have a plan that I think would actually work... You would have to tap into a few wires going to the ECM but I am pretty sure it would work.

It would not fix the cause of WHY it happens. It would Detect WHEN it happened and would shut down the bike. That would be better than nothing.

After talking to my wife she found the information about the lawsuit on the Temecula Valley HOG web site, posted by the Road Captain.

Back