free website stats program 2009 Model Year Update Bulletin | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Model Year Update Bulletin

Status
Not open for further replies.

glider.

BOT Machine
Interesting info in this bulletin including the increase of the "allowable" runout for the crank.

(Links deleted as they were not working.)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a temp way of doing it , more like putting it off hoping the warranty runs out first before they have to fix it on their dime because the crank run-out if in excess will take out the motor completely.

Heck! I thought they had improved the pressed cranks in these last couple of model years to eliminate the runout problem!! Oh well. I forsee a rash of oil pump failures!!

TQ

What a "window".. 3 to 130 tenths. That just about covers us ALL! Both the Lucky and the un-Lucky:p

Going to be a lot of angry Harley owners again

NOW I WONDER WHAT MINE IS?

I JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND TRY TO PUT AT THE BACK OF MY MIND ...... unless i use this as an EXCUSE to tear into the motor and check... If I do, MIGHT AS WELL PUT IN THE LOW TORQUE CAM ....26... while there. WHAT YOU THINK....

signed....BUBBIE
09/FLHR

What exactly is the "crank run out"? Is it the tolerance inside the main bearing? I am unclear on this. Thanks.

So basically it represents the "straightness". Is this something that gets worse with mileage or is it bad from the get go? It is hard for me to imagine that something this important would not be addressed prior to manufacturing. This is a sign of a very poor quality program. Something as important as a crank shaft should not be allowed as a mistake if you buiold MC engines. GEESH!:( How far off do they have to be before they are a problem? If they are within HD new specs, are they OK?

As manufactured, they are fairly straight but a bit of abuse like burnouts or missed shifts where it would send a heavy load to the crank could cause a problem. Once it's out a bit, it gets worse as experienced by vibrations in the bike that weren't there before and eventually cause damage to the oil pump which will lead to an engine failure.
The problem is poor manufacturing and no pinning , welding or keying of the cranks as in past years in an effort to make more money in the process, just a press fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back