free website stats program 2009 FXSTC starter problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 FXSTC starter problems

Is it possable on these things to have a bad injector load a cylinder up with fuel so when you crank it over it will almost hydraulic and give that bang and sudden stop? Just a thought.

Is it possable on these things to have a bad injector load a cylinder up with fuel so when you crank it over it will almost hydraulic and give that bang and sudden stop? Just a thought.

Great point. I actually saw that happen on a Marine Chevy engine once years back. Good point Charley

(You really mean "piston" and not the "Head",,I am guessing)

I want to lean more toward what Breeze said about a weak compensator. I swapped out my comp for a SE comp on my 2009 bike and a lot of noises did go away. The removed factory comp was like BRAND NEW (6K miles) so installing a New factory comp would Not have cured my noise issues.

You also may want to perform the "primary chain tension adjuster" trick. It just may help if your primary chain has too much slack. Worth a try cause it's FREE!:)

Yes, my error for being frustrated..yes the piston and not the head. As well...whats the primary chain aduster trick?

Following is courtesy of "Dangerdan" copied from 3-2-09

Re: auto adjust primary chain tensioner

Here's what you do. Accelerate from a stop in first gear rather hard to about 30 MPH and then brake rather hard using only the rear brake without locking up the wheel and don't pull in the clutch until the bike slows enough.
Do this 2-3 times in succession and you'll notice that the noise that you thought was the valve train is almost completely gone now. Low speed riding is a bit smoother also due to less play in the chain.

By doing this, the automatic primary chain will ratchet up a bit tighter if it was loose before this. The acceleration and braking causes slack in the lower strand of the chain and will ratchet it up tighter if it needed an adjustment.

If it wasn't loose there will be no noted difference.
That is most likely the noise that was heard and not the valve train at all.

Sounds strange but try it!

Following is courtesy of "Dangerdan" copied from 3-2-09

Re: auto adjust primary chain tensioner

Here's what you do. Accelerate from a stop in first gear rather hard to about 30 MPH and then brake rather hard using only the rear brake without locking up the wheel and don't pull in the clutch until the bike slows enough.
Do this 2-3 times in succession and you'll notice that the noise that you thought was the valve train is almost completely gone now. Low speed riding is a bit smoother also due to less play in the chain.

By doing this, the automatic primary chain will ratchet up a bit tighter if it was loose before this. The acceleration and braking causes slack in the lower strand of the chain and will ratchet it up tighter if it needed an adjustment.

If it wasn't loose there will be no noted difference.
That is most likely the noise that was heard and not the valve train at all.

Sounds strange but try it!

It works good try it:D:D

Thats a really good point...I will run it by the service manager when he calls me...Thanks would not have thought of that.

IT"S A COMMON PROBLEM, Harley dealer can't change your method or behavior as to how you start your bike.

Turn the switch on, don't wait for the engine light to go out and hit the start switch on a warmed up engine, BINGO/BANGO off it goes.

Turn it off at the ignition switch with your left hand.

Leave the run switch on, use the run switch for emergency shut down i.e. stuck throttle etc.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

PS. You won't be as likely to hit the start switch by mistake when shutting down also.

Last edited:
(You really mean "piston" and not the "Head",,I am guessing)

I want to lean more toward what Breeze said about a weak compensator. I swapped out my comp for a SE comp on my 2009 bike and a lot of noises did go away. The removed factory comp was like BRAND NEW (6K miles) so installing a New factory comp would Not have cured my noise issues.

You also may want to perform the "primary chain tension adjuster" trick. It just may help if your primary chain has too much slack. Worth a try cause it's FREE!:)
09FXSTC......

I have the same year & model, & the same problem. Have you found a fix?
Some say it can be tuned out with the SEPST, Some say ALLSBALLS starter clutch. One said it's the Temp sensor.
Sherm ( RedBall Jet)

09FXSTC......

I have the same year & model, & the same problem. Have you found a fix?
Some say it can be tuned out with the SEPST, Some say ALLSBALLS starter clutch. One said it's the Temp sensor.
Sherm ( RedBall Jet)

The OP hasn't been on the forum in almost 5 years so I doubt if you'll get an answer.

I suggest starting your own thread in the appropriate section with the details of your current problem.

Back