free website stats program 2009 FLHTCU headset | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 FLHTCU headset

Dtgiese, looks like a nice setup, used Plantronics stuff in the telecom biz for years and it works very well, and rugged too.

Kinda surprised like Chopper said that more riders are not using some type of Bluetooth setup as I have heard so many horror stories about the wiring and fitting of headsets and helmets as motorcycle riders are a pretty "picky" lot and pitch anything not worth it's salt and usually vocal too...

I would think with all the multi-media access, AM/FM/CB/CD/Cassette/IPOD/CELL etc. something that was "seamless" and sonically superior would have been found. I remember Chatterbox was "popular" but was bulky and expensive, with wiring issues and complexity were a bit "over the top" but it also offered Bike to Bike communication, but less then admiral sound quality, ScalaRider being the same.

Last edited:
Well all, I soldered in the new J&M speakers into my HD stock headset unit and I can say it's a great success. Sounds like a headset should music wise. Cannot report on com sound but will when I get to try it out. Cannot not believe the difference. Harley-Davidson should be ashamed charging $199 for the stock set. They have about a 30 cent speaker they use.

Hoggy25, if the work looks pretty sano, post some pix to give the guys-n-gals here the heads up. Like you I am surprised that the HD stock headsets are that poor...just heard they were "fair" by many who had them.

Guess I should have thought about photos as I was doing it. It's done now. Anyway even though the sound is much better it still leaves a lot to be desired. Sounded much better before I used it riding. It was worth it to me because I could not hear my riding buddy with the OEM speakers but now I can understand him. The bass still gets covered up by wind nose, much to my surprise. If you use a full face helmet I think it would be the way to go. When I get time (busy the next couple of days) I'll post a pic or 2 of the finished speaker but it's already heat shrinked so not sure how much that would help anyone. Very easy to do if you have a soldering station. Most people don't, but an iron would work with steady hands.

Hey guys...if nobody has tried this with the stock HD headset, give it a shot, it works. Get some foam rubber, like an old cushion or pillow and cut some foam to fit in the ear hole of your helmet. Cut out an opening for the speaker to set into. This takes a little trial & error to get it perfectly lined up with your ear canal opening for the best sound. Cover it with black cloth and glue it (I use 3M adhesive...or set it in loosely, but you'll be cussing that after it falls out a few times) into the ear opening on your helmet. It holds the speaker next to your ear (how tightly depends on how much foam you use) and you can hear the OEM headset soooo much better. Even the bluetooth cellphone module is understandable at speed now. It also quiets the outside noise and completely eliminates the wind noise.

Jim, you nailed it. sound quality was poor until we spaced the factory HD speakers directly up against our ears, both my wife and I feel the sound quality is pretty respectable now and dont go anywhere without music, intercom, CB and navi piped into our factory HD headsets. mounting them correctly makes all the difference

I picked up my 09 Ultra Classic about 3 weeks ago and there was no headset with it. I'm not sure which one everyone is considering the stock headset. I went on Ebay and purchased a 77147-98 headset (7 pin) with boom mic. Installed it into my 3/4 face helmet and plugged it in and it sounds nice.

So my question is, what is the unit that comes with the bike that some are complaining they sound terrible? Is it the 77147-98 or some other HD part number?

Back