free website stats program 2008 Ultra charging Issue | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 Ultra charging Issue

fasthogs

Have an '08 FLHTCU w/45k miles...have been having an issue with it at least a dozen times. Ridin' and the low voltage battery light comes on. Voltage meter drops down below 12v but bike doesn't stumble. Pull over, shut down and start...ride and voltmeter goes up. Happens time to time and replaced battery and still an issue. I'm wondering if it's the voltage regulator acting up...need to replace it?

Before you start just replacing parts you need to verify if in fact the voltage is low at the battery when this happens. Your problem is when you re-boot the bike it will go away for a while. What I would do is this.

Your battery tender jack goes Directly to the battery (or it should be). I would carry a meter with me. Next time it happens, DO NOT turn off the engine. Take out your meter and measure the voltage at the tender jack. See if it matches your dash gauge. You must know this one answer before tearing into the bike because it may NOT be a voltage regulator problem at all.

Your battery tender jack goes Directly to the battery (or it should be). I would carry a meter with me. Next time it happens, DO NOT turn off the engine. Take out your meter and measure the voltage at the tender jack. See if it matches your dash gauge. You must know this one answer before tearing into the bike because it may NOT be a voltage regulator problem at all.

This is exactly what I had to do when I had my charging issues.

FastHogs, I would also check all the grounds in the charging circuit.

Back