free website stats program 2007 Night Train Running Bad / Stalling | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 Night Train Running Bad / Stalling

NYHarley

Ok, out of nowhere my bike started running very poorly and stalling out while riding. When you grab a whole hand full of throttle its like something is holding it back, engine doesn't sound right either. Most of the stalling is a deacceleration. I thought the culprit might be the Sumax wires I installed, as they did not check out so hot on my ohm meter so I went back to factory plug wires, and got new plugs, no change.is it possibly the coil? How do you test it? I then started to think it was the Power Commander so I contacted DynoJet and they told me to run a zero map and see if it improved, no luck. I bypassed the Power Commander for a quick pull down my street, no luck still running poor. My next step is to put all stock items back on and start from there. I am only running V&H Big Radius Pipes and a Screamin Eagle filter kit. Using a FuelMoto custom Map on the Power Commander. This setup has been fine all last summer, and all of a sudden hit with this problem. I also think the bike is running much hotter because I can really feel the heat coming from the engine. If anyone can steer me in the right direction it would be a big help.

I swapped my tins last year so the fuel lines inside the tank are new. I assume that if it did not build pressure the pump wouldn't run and shut off like it does before starting? I will investigate it regardless. As for the ignition, the number values in the thread you guys referred me to do not add up? Is this the correct procedure for a Twin Cam? If the ignition was bad would it run hot? I would assume it would foul out, and there was not a spec of residue on the brand new plugs I put in, the were actually a little white..... bringing me back to a no fuel issue. The bike will sit and idle fine, you can rev it with excellent response, but as soon as you are driving the bike and grab a whole hand full of throttle it feels like it is at about a 1/4 throttle.... I am going to do more testing / troubleshooting today.

I assume that if it did not build pressure the pump wouldn't run and shut off like it does before starting?

The building up of fuel pressure, having low running pressure and the 2 second prime safety feature at start up have nothing in common with one another.

Hoople - 10/4 on that. I don't have access to a guage to test the pressure. I will get back inside the tank to check hoses and connections. I installed all new hoses and clamps when I swithed tanks last season, and I have to say that getting that fuel pump assembly out of the tank is some what of an experience, never thought I would be doing that again so soon. That cheap plastic corragated hose in the tank seemed like a joke to me.... couldn't they find something a bit more heavy duty. I guess it will give me a chance to check my float and see why my LED fuel gauge is always incorrect until I am on Empty!

Checked the fuel lines inside the tank, and everything seems good, clamps are tight, no pin holes etc. Even put my video inspection camera inside the tank with the bike running to look for any fuel spitting out of the hose anywhere (low gas level of course). I don't know what else to do, so I am returning the bike back to stock pipes and air cleaner so I can see if it still happens, casue I know if I go to the dealer with the added on Power Commander they will just tell me to return it to stock so they can check it. Wish we had some good shops that can troubleshoot bikes with Fuel Injection around here.

I will post my findings when its back to stock.

I take it that there were none.

I checked for codes, and I had two old codes as follows:

P1004

B1145

I believe one of them was from the other day when a plug wire popped off while riding. Cleared them, and nothing showed up after test ride.

I just finished a 15 mile test ride with it back to factory specs, and it ran fine. Actually had more power than it did with the aftermarket Pipes / Air Cleaner, on its best day. It's either coincedence or the Power Commander is junk. I will keep it stock for a few days as I figure out what EFI tuner to get, and see how it goes.

Back