free website stats program 2007 Maintenance Specs. | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 Maintenance Specs.

MURPH

Glider; The dry gas seems to have done the trick on my '95 Ultra with 75000 miles-thanks.Over the last 2-3 months the sound of someone twisting alumium paper under the gas tank getting louder!! Last 2 weeks this sound joined by a "brushing" sound-as if one rubbing something up and down the cylinder walls. The primary chain checked as was the valve-covers. My man says hard to determine exact origin of the sound. Gas tank removed and sound from engine. Now thinking a "tear-down" of engine to solve the mystery. No affect on performance and no difference if in gear or not. Your thoughts much appreciated!! Murph

Murph

I moved this post here because where you posted it in the general tips ( http://www.hdtimeline.com/general_tips/1544-2007_maintenance_specs.html ) is mainly for replying to a post that currently is in there, not for a new question.

Glad the dry gas did the trick for you. The sound you hear that you are describing may be the fuel line or fuel regulator inside the tank when it pressures up (don't recall if you were fuel injected or not). You said gas tank removed? Hard to tell over the internet with sounds.

Last edited:
Glider:The original sound of foil being crimpled started after tank removed in July to replace coil and plug wires.At first sound came at start-up and stopped within 1 mile.Over time it stayed longer! I asked to have tank removed after primary and valves o.k. as I wondered if something loose under it. Not so, but with tank off sound seemed to be from engine.Am carburated. Murph.

Intake leaks are a bad or leaking connection where the intake manifold joins onto the head or throttle body/carb joins on to the intake manifold or where there is a vacuum line or plug in the intake track that is leaking vacuum causing a lean condition and possibly a noise too.

Best to check by spraying some WD 40 around the joints to see if you detect a different idle speed/stumble while the motor is running. Not a very uncommon thing at all.

Glider:I think that your thoughts re intake leak may be right on the money. We discovered a long, almost circular, hairline crack on the horn side manifold where it went into the rear cylinder.It is being welded as we speak; am hoping sounds all gone when we re-install it and start up!!

Let's hope for the best. Make sure you get proper alignment before snuging up the bolts on the manifold to head. Could have been the origional cause of the problem.

Have you compared the condition and color of the front and rear plugs for comparison to see if the rear was lean?

Last edited:
Glider: There was a difference sometimes in the amount of carbon deposit on the plugs-from memory think rear may have been less. Also thinking that the defective diaphragm may be part of the problem... it was behaving consistent with a vapor lock.Thanks for telling us re the recall!

Back