free website stats program 2006 street bob | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 street bob

ramprat

Anybody have a 2006 street bob who has removed the harley logo from the gas tank? I know they just stick them on but I don't want to ruin the paint.

I wish I had seen the tips before I attempted the removal of mine. I did one side with a paint prep and it took forever. I scratched at the glue so long I scratched my paint to hell. The other side I did with a heat gun and it was a lot easier. Probably best to pull off the metal emblem before you try to remove the tape. Be careful not to heat up your tank too much. There's fuel in there ya know! I was torn wether it was better to remove the gas cap to allow pressure to release and the chance that gases flowing out over the tank might ignite from the red hot heat gun element.
If you create scratches in the paint, use a polishing compound and power buffer. The paint should be perfect before you think about applying your new decals.
And what is with those UGLY tank badges on the Street Bob. They gotta go.
You can get a badge from any Harley at your dealer. Don't settle for the boring ones they sell aftermarket.
Here's my new badges. From an '08 Night Train.
cutankbadge.jpg

Should be the same with the denim paint. Warm the emblem first then lift them off using a credit card under the end of the emblem so it doesn't dig into the paint when you lift the opposite end.

Credit card, I think I will use the wife’s that’s a good idea when you think about it, I was aware of the paint and polish to, one of the best reasons for buying the street bob in the denim in the first place. Cheers guys.

You can also use dental floss our fishing line to cut under the tape. I heard it works great for removing the relectors so it should work on the emblems.

Took mine off with dental floss and wife's hair dryer. Denim black looks fine. Did all the reflective crap at the same time. It takes a bit of effort if you don't give the hair dryer enough time to get it all gummy, so be patient with it. And if you end up having to rub at all to get the goo off, I recommend you use some WD40 and a soft cotton towel (not apaper ot typical kitchen hand towel. DO NOT DRY RUB IT.

You may also notice a slight color difference when you initially take it off, depending on how long you have ridden the bike in the sun before removing the emblem. I did. But it went away after a few weeks of daily, sunny riding.

DO take the crappy stamped metal emblem off before you try the dental floss of fishing string.

Big Daddy Dean 'O

Back