free website stats program 2006 Softail or 2010? Will it matter? | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 Softail or 2010? Will it matter?

Monolith

Howdy,

I own a 2006 Heritage, and I am about to invest in some upgrades. Custom seat, new exhaust, Stage III kit, etc... Before I invest $$$ I wanted to make sure that there was no real advantage to upgrading my bike to an '09 or '10. I understand that the '07 and higher have a 6 speed transmission and a bigger engine, but after you upgrade to a Stage III, does it matter if you started with an 88 or 96 engine? Will the 6 speed transmission make much of a difference? Are there any other differences between ’06 and ‘09/’10 that I should be aware of?

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions,

Monoltih

I'd definitely wait until the 2010's are out before making any big financial decisions. Since they did such a big revamp of the Touring family for 2009, maybe this year will have some surprises for the Softail club!

I agree with Smitty. One or the other isn't enough reason but both together the decision gets a little easier.

For what it's worth, I like my 6 speed over the 5 speed. It's not a HUGE difference, but its a very noticable difference. At 55-60 mph its just a nice smooth low rumble going down the road.

At this point I'd wait for the 2010 model year. If for anything else, I don't really like the paint schemes of the 09's. As far as mechanically, not much difference from 07's to 09's. Softail I think has remained pretty true to its roots.

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to hold off on the Stage III upgrade until the 2010's are released. I have done some reading and have seen that they have removed some models for 2010 and are adding another water cooled model.

I was going to get a custom seat made, but I am going to hold off on that too, I think switching up to a 07+ after the 2010's are released is probably the best idea. No sense investing 1000's customizing something when the foundation is not exactly what I want.

From what I have been able to find, the models they are discontinuing for 2010 are: FLHT Electra Glide Standard, FLTR Road Glide, FXSTB Night Train, FXCW Rocker "standard" (The FXCWC remains), FXDL Low Rider, and XL883C 883 Custom.

Well we know whats in store for 2010. So whats the choice your gonna make. I dont see much difference in the softails. Just thinking of the price youd pay for a 2010 would give ya lotta upgrade dough.

Back