free website stats program 2006 Heat Management | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 Heat Management

glider.

BOT Machine
More on heat management showing head temp and engine parameters...

Injected Twin Cam High Temperature Idle

The 2006 and later fuel injected Twin Cam engines use a three phase heat management system to reduce engine temperature under extreme conditions. Be aware that a rider with a very hot engine may notice the affects of this three phase heat management system and incorrectly assume an idle problem exists.

Phase 1 - At approximately 320F the ECM will gradually reduce engine idle speed until the engine temperature drops or the engine reaches 800 rpm.

Phase 2 - If engine temperature reaches 338F the ECM richens the air/fuel ratio to provide additional cooling.

Phase 3 - If the engine temperature reaches 356F fuel injector pulses are interrupted. The air drawn in and expelled helps cool the engine further. Since there is no combustion it would be perceived as a misfire. This third stage will only happen when the motorcycle is stationary.

These are head temps as indicated and NOT oil temps

Reference: H-D Owner's Manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Data, that is interesting for 2 reasons. 2006 was prior to the "96" engine which seems to me as really the beginning of all the heat issues. Buddies who have pre- 96 engines, seem to have no (or few) heat issues as compared to me.

Also the heat management firmware for pre "96" must not be user selectable as it is for all "96" engines on any frame style. Looking at the stage 1 maps for pre-96 engines, don't show it as "selectable" (enable/disable). It must be only enabled with no choice to end user. (??)

Good info, Tks!

Earlier TC systems were not selectable, then came 07 (I believe) where the dealer had to turn it on or off for a one time free choice, then came 08 and it is user selectable.

Hard to keep up with the changes.

Back