free website stats program 2005 xl883c clutch bearings | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 xl883c clutch bearings

You shouldn't have any front to back play or side to side. You are talking the clutch hub assembly correct?
tourbox

yes clutch hub / starter ring. I've been told some movement side to side is ok , normal . if not true as you have said then I need to pull apart and change bearings ,or can it be removed whole and change the bearing at the back? as I don't have the clutch tool. cheers for the help

hello flusher, too add to my question, it's only the outer of the clutch has movement , inner is solid.

hello flusher, too add to my question, it's only the outer of the clutch has movement , inner is solid.

That would be pretty much normal, but not a lot of movement. The bearing,#14, you are concerned with is actually pressed on the clutch hub,#12, and is held in place to the clutch shell,#13, by 2 retaining(snap) rings,#'s19 &20. You do need a special tool to compress the spring clutch plate,#23. #'s 18 & 21 hold # 25 together with # 23. I have a pic attached for the #'s

tourbox

thanks , I have same pic and have manual , but nowhere does it give measurements for free play, the only reason I found it ,was that I had to replace starter, and the mechanics here in Adelaide , south Australia have differing views. it's not noisy, works smoothly. and only has 41,000 kms on it , thanks for your knowledge , I will put back together today. pauljp

If it is working smoothly and no noise I wouldn't worry about it. The only way to tell if the bearing is bad is to disassemble the clutch to manually check the bearing. You may also be able to remove the compensator and primary chain from the clutch hub. Although I don't think there is enough room to take the chain off the hub without removing it from the tranny shaft. I've never tried that because I have the clutch tool.
tourbox

G'day Tourbox, yep I've left it, I would of thought that if the bearing was bad you'd hear it . I just feel as some mechanics just want your bank account , not a returning customer. Thanks for your time , Pauljp

Back