free website stats program 2005 FXD Superglide won't start | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 FXD Superglide won't start

Well, I was finally able to get the bike up far enough for me to see under it. I couldn't find anything that looked burned. There are only two cables routed under my starter and I pulled both of them off their connectors and was able to push enough cable out to see that there wasn't any burnt or bare areas on the cables where they laid under the starter. Any smell has pretty much dissipated. I'm beginning to think the smoke was coming from the starter. I didn't hook the battery back up yet. All connections from the battery to the starter/ground were tight. I rechecked the ground when the battery was out of the bike.

What next? Should I pull the starter and have it checked?
Can I pull the housing on the starter without taking it off the bike?
Is there any other testing I should do?
Should I re-install the battery, pull all unnecessary fuses and see if the bike turns over faster?

Read the links Tank has see if it helps.
The starter really needs to be tested under load installed on the bike..
you will need a inductive amp pick up clamp and amp meter to see how many amps the starter is pulling.

bc, are you saying I need to do an amperage test on the starter? I haven't taken it out yet so if I need to do it on the bike I still can.

Yes leave starter on the bike to do a amp test that way it is under load.
If it were mine I would have the battery load tested first. I don't think that is the problem it would not cause the smoke.
If the battery is good and the cables are not shorted and are tight that pretty much leaves the starter but to test the amp draw starter need to be on the bike.
does the starter smell like burnt electrical ?

To be honest with you bc, I don't know if my smelling sense is going bad or if the smell isn't as bad. When the starter area was smoking I could smell it. When I initially took the seat off the bike the bottom of the seat had a smell of burnt electrical and also around the fuse panel. My guess is that the smoke was rising into that area and creating the smell. But the smell isn't as strong and it's hard to pinpoint. The other question I have is, would the starter cause the issue of the bike missing and wanting to stop running which is why I started on this venture. I didn't think the starter was in the picture once the bike started. I think I have a combination of problems. I changed the battery, which then gave me the cranking amps to turn the bike over. Now I'm trying to find a short somewhere that's causing the slow cranking issue. My guess is that the starter is grounded internally, but without doing some other testing I don't know for sure. It's kind of a catch 22. Once I get the cranking issue fixed then I'll need to make sure the voltage regulator and stator are good, and they didn't overcharge the battery causing it to go into total failure along with the starter. I'm going to see if anyone has an inductive amp pick up clamp and amp meter or if I can get one relatively inexpensive. We'll see what I can get over the next week. Thanks everyone for the help so far.

You are correct the starter is out of the picture once it is started and would not cause the bike to stall. So you more then likely have more then one problem. The cranking issue needs to be fixed first, the starter armature could be shorted causing high amp draw that is pulling battery voltage down low. the only way I know how to test that is using a high amp clamp on the batt cable and see how many amps the starter is pulling while cranking the motor. once you get it starting you need to test the charging system.

This is on hold for a few days. I found out this morning that the fuel gauge on my ultra decided to quit working. When it rains, it pours :(. I'm also saving up for a new starter. When I say "new" I mean either rebuilding the one I have or buying an aftermarket one.

OK, I'm finally able to revive this subject because I was able to purchase a starter last month and put it in. Here's the latest, the bike will start and idle. But if I try to push the choke in even an 1/8th of a push while it's cold, the engine will quit. Also, if I try to turn the throttle it's almost like something is choking the carb out. I can't even move the throttle a hair without the bike starting to cough and bog out. I've removed the air filter and turned the throttle to see if I was getting fuel, that is confirmed. I'm not sure if I'm dealing with a fuel, air, or electrical issue now.

I would suggest cleaning your carb. first, This starter problem was from last year, correct. If you just now replaced the starter and the bike has been sitting, approx. a yr., then the carb. needs to be cleaned.
tourbox

Back