free website stats program 2003 Heritage Softail won't start | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2003 Heritage Softail won't start

'03 carbed bike will show spark without compression.

Carb could be gummed up but motor should still start, just won't run right but I do agree wiht Breeze that the carb should be broken down and thoroughly cleaned. I have/had three bikes, one of which was an '02 FLHT, carbed and with three in the rotation sometimes the '02 would be unridden for weeks. About once a year, I have to remove the carb and clean, usually it's the emulsion tube that's the problem. Harder starting and very rough running but it will always start.

Does the bike have a tach? If so, pull the plugs and spin the motor. If the CPS is working, the tach should be moving. A more definitive check would be to connect volt meter leads to the two the two CPS leads and the meter set to read AC voltage and spin the motor; meter should read 3-5V. If the reading is low, pull the CPS, clean and test again. If voltage is still low, replace the CPS.

Jeff this may be a stupid question but pulling the codes with a test wire the same for a bike with ECM and Ignition Module? As I had said the bike is carbureted and has an IM. Just wanted to make sure my buddies are coming by over the weekend so I can check the Crank Sensor and pull the codes if any. Thanks to all of you for your input! Will keep you posted.

Back