free website stats program 2002 Heritage New cams, upgrade cam plate -miss fire! | Harley Davidson Forums

2002 Heritage New cams, upgrade cam plate -miss fire!

Richdd

Hello all.

I have searched, but am unable to find anything close to the problem I am having now.

2002 FLSTCI
TC88
At 47K noticed top of front can noise (loose push rods/lifters), and noticable lack of power on acceleration. I tore into it and found the cam chain tensioners worn well beyond specs. I ordered the modified screaming eagle upgrade cam plates, Andrews TW37B cam kit, and HD adjustable push rods.
I installed all of the above to all included instruction sheets, and shop manual. I do have pictures if needed.
The bike initially took some time to start (which was ususal for my bike). I upgraded the Map for my Power Commander IIIr, and now she starts up much better cold.
My problem is when the engine is warm, and I am cruzing 60 to 78 mph, I get a back fire. I can produce the backfire at around 76 mph. And the warmer the engine, the less power I have upon acceleration up until I hit the highter throttle.
If you need more info, I will gladly provide it. I am absolutely sure it is not a timing issue for I tore the timing cover off to check all of the marks. All marks are to specs.
I am wondering if one or more of my tappets are bad, and failing after they warm up???

Please help?

Hello all.

I have searched, but am unable to find anything close to the problem I am having now.

2002 FLSTCI
TC88
At 47K noticed top of front can noise (loose push rods/lifters), and noticable lack of power on acceleration. I tore into it and found the cam chain tensioners worn well beyond specs. I ordered the modified screaming eagle upgrade cam plates, Andrews TW37B cam kit, and HD adjustable push rods.
I installed all of the above to all included instruction sheets, and shop manual. I do have pictures if needed.
The bike initially took some time to start (which was ususal for my bike). I upgraded the Map for my Power Commander IIIr, and now she starts up much better cold.
My problem is when the engine is warm, and I am cruzing 60 to 78 mph, I get a back fire. I can produce the backfire at around 76 mph. And the warmer the engine, the less power I have upon acceleration up until I hit the highter throttle.
If you need more info, I will gladly provide it. I am absolutely sure it is not a timing issue for I tore the timing cover off to check all of the marks. All marks are to specs.
I am wondering if one or more of my tappets are bad, and failing after they warm up???

Please help?

Have you replaced the plug wires and plugs, are the connections on the end of the plugs tight? If you did not change the lifters I would have a look at them JMO

Back